Thirty Two

I looked around to make sure no one had noticed me, but it was a bit hard to go to the Slammer without being noticed. Especially since I was carrying a firelit lantern. Fortunately, a fire had been lit in the middle of the Glade and everyone was around it, so no one really saw me leave. I noticed a figure crouching next to the pit, and I stopped in my tracks, until the figure walked away from the pit, towards me, and I realized it was Chuck.

"Breaking the rules?" I asked him as he got close to me.

"I huh- I just wanted to prank him," he quickly answered, and I laughed.

"I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me. Deal?" I suggested, and he nodded, walking back towards the fire. When I reached the pit, Thomas looked up quickly, hiding something behind him.

"I really hope you don't think I'm here to beat you up," I said, and he seemed to relax, taking out the piece of bread from behind him.

"I don't really know who's with me and who's against me," he mumbled, biting in the bread. I scoffed, sitting on the ground in front of the grid.

"Well, I was in the group ready to run back into the Maze with you, but okay," I laughed, and he had a small laugh, looking down at his piece of bread. We sat in silence for a moment as I let him finish the food, then I took a deep breath. 

"Do you remember anything? Anyone?" I asked, and he looked up at me with a confused frown.

"Why do you ask?"

"Because I remembered you. Your name. And Teresa too. And I'd like it if I wasn't the only weirdo around," I explained, and he sighed, looking down, before looking back up again.

"I had dreams about a lab. And she was there with me. And I remember you," he said quietly, and I straightened up.

"Really? What do you know?"

"Nothing, really. But you were in the lab with us." I frowned, absentmindedly playing with my bracelet again. "And Teresa and I, we remember a woman's voice, saying the same thing over and over," he continued, and I looked at him.

"What does she say?"

"Wicked is good. Do you remember that too?" Thomas asked, and I shook my head.

"No. All I heard was Teresa saying everything's going to change," I confessed, and he frowned, staring in front of him, as if he was in deep thoughts. I probably had the same look, as I tried to process the informations and figure out what was going on. 

"I think Wicked might be the Creator's name," Thomas said, making me jump.

"Yeah, that's kinda obvious. The word is on our supplies, on the Griever part you brought back, on the syringe we used on Alby... It would make sense. The question is, why the hell would they sent us here," I mumbled, and he nodded.

"I think it might be a test. Maybe they wanna see if we're gonna get out or not," he suggested and I sighed.

"Yeah, but why? What kind of monsters would put kids like Chuck in here?" I asked, and he shook his head.

"I don't know."

We sat in silence again, both lost in our thoughts. My mind wandered to the Creators. Why would they call themselves Wicked? Was it all a twisted game for them, and the name was a way to make fun of us? Or did it stand for something? And what in the world would make people put us here? Who would want to put a bunch of kids into such a place? The more I thought about it, the more I was getting nervous about everything. I trusted Thomas to get us out of the Maze, but what would happen once we got out? Maybe things would be worse. Maybe the Creators would be waiting for us. Maybe they'd wipe our memories again and put us back in.

"Caroline?"

"Huh?"

"I think you should get some rest. We can talk again tomorrow, see if any of us remembered anything else in our sleep," Thomas said, and I nodded, standing up.

"Good plan. See ya tomorrow, then," I said, and he nodded, laying on the bottom of the pit.

..............

A tube. A big tube. They closed it on me, and I felt isolated from everything. I could hear their muffled voices, but couldn't see anything, as always.

"Don't be afraid, Caroline. You'll be safer in there."

"The Grievers can't attack you. We made sure of it. You'll be alright."

"Thomas and Teresa will look after you from here."

"We won't let them hurt you, Caroline. It'll all be over soon, I promise."

"Remember, Caroline. Wicked is good."

I opened wide eyes, catching my breath. I sat up in my bed, running a hand on my face. Once again, the voices sounded familiar, but I couldn't tell who they belonged to. Except for one. We won't let them hurt you, he said. Why would Thomas tell me this? Were we close friends? Or was he my brother? No, we didn't look alike at all. Or at least, if we did, no one told us. And I didn't look like Teresa either. Were we raised together? It would make sense, considering my last dream. 

I sighed, getting up and walking down the stairs of the Homestead. I knew I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep, so I decided to go and get some food now, before everyone woke up. As I got out, I noticed Thomas and Minho walking out of the Runner's hut and towards the doors. I ran after them.

"Princess is up early again. Nightmare?" Minho asked as I stopped next to him, and I nodded, looking at Thomas.

"Yeah, same as always," I said, but Thomas seemed to understand I was lying. He gave me a slight nod, before turning towards the doors.

"Big day, huh? Try not to get Minho killed. I would never forgive you," I joked, and Thomas had a small laugh.

"I can take care of myself, Princess," Minho scoffed, and I laughed, patting his shoulder.

"We never know," I said, and the doors started roaring. I watched as the doors opened, and Thomas looked slightly nervous. The doors weren't even fully opened that Minho shouted a let's go and started running. Thomas quickly looked at me, smiling and took off after Minho. I shook my head, smiling, as I watched them until they disappeared from my sight.