Twenty Seven

I woke up to the loud rumble of the doors. I had managed to get about two hours of sleep, considering I fell in and out of sleep all night, waking up every time I'd hear anything coming from the Maze. Other boys had joined us earlier in the morning, sitting down in front of the doors. It was as if no one could believe Alby and Minho would die in the Maze after everything they did in this place, and they had hope that somehow, with Thomas, they would manage to survive.

"Guys! Get up!" Chuck shouted as the doors finally started to open. I shared a look with Newt, who was still sitting next to me, and we both got up, quickly reaching Chuck. The doors slowly opened to reveal a very silent and empty corridor. My stomach twisted and I had to close my eyes and focus on my breathing to keep myself from throwing up.

They were gone. Minho, Alby and Thomas were dead. I kept repeating their name in my mind, seeing their faces. Minho. I opened my eyes as Newt's hand went to my shoulder and he whispered sadly that they weren't coming back. My breath hitched as Newt pulled me back, dragging me towards the Homestead. I felt numb, like I wasn't in control of my own body anymore. My eyes filled with water as I followed Newt, half-aware that I was putting almost all my weight on him. I turned around slowly, looking at Chuck, who was still standing in front of the doors.

Movement caught my eyes and straightened up, moving away from Newt. He held me back but I pushed him away, walking towards the doors. My eyes widened as I realized what I was looking at. Who I was looking at. "No way," I mumbled, reaching Chuck.

He turned around quickly towards the doors. "Yeah!" he shouted excitedly, as the other boys walked over to us. In the Maze, Thomas and Minho were walking towards us, dragging a knocked out Alby with them. I moved to reach them, but Newt held me back, as all of the boys were around, waiting for the boys to get back. Chuck kept shouting excitedly, a big smile on his face. I walked behind him, trying to get myself away from the middle of the crowd.

Minho and Thomas kneeled, dropping Alby on the ground as Jeff and Clint kneeled next to them, checking on Alby. I stood there, frozen in place, mouth opened wide, as everyone was running to us. Chuck straightened up and looked at Thomas. "You saw a Griever?"

"Yeah I saw one," he said, looking at everyone. His eyes fell on me for a second and I was unable to smile or react in anyway. He looked back at Chuck, then at Jeff, then looked down.

"He didn't just see one. He killed it," Minho said, looking around at the crowd. My mind suddenly seemed to process that he was back, and I sucked in a breath, loudly. Chuck and Newt looked at me and I looked down at my boots.

"Alright. Clint, Jeff, take Alby to the Homestead. Once you've checked him, we're gonna hold a Gathering, and I want to see everybody there. Good that?" Newt called, and everyone started moving. The Med-Jacks and a few other boys took Alby to the Homestead, the others crowding around the Council Hall.

I stood there, staring at Minho, who stood up after Alby was taken away. He looked at me and he smirked. "Hey, Princess," he said, and I smiled, walking to him and throwing my arms around his neck, pulling him to me. He immediately hugged me back, literally crushing my ribcage, but I didn't say anything about it. Tears started to fall on my cheeks as I buried my face on his shoulder. He rubbed my back with one hands, telling me he was fine.

"I was so scared, Minho. I thought... I thought you... I couldn't imagine..." I stammered, and he shushed me.

"I know, I know, but I'm back now, okay? I'm fine," he said in a soft voice, but I could still heard the fear left in his voice. I nodded and pulled away, smiling at him. I turned my attention to Thomas, who was standing awkwardly next to us.

"And you, if you do that again I'm gonna kill you with my bare hands, Shank," I joked, and everyone had a small laugh, probably happy to see I was joking again. The five of us walked towards the Council Hall, Newt making his way next to me as Chuck asked the two others details about their night.