Chapter 2 - A King Above Burdens

Start from the beginning

"This will not hurt, dear," Blethinette said, bringing Auronmar back from his memories.

He didn't know what she meant, but he heard the slick sound of flesh being penetrated followed by the flowing of blood. He wasn't sure, but he thought he swayed and Blethinette caught him.

"I am sorry, dear," her voice was heard, "but we need a great amount of blood to admit you to the fountain. Once inside, I shall heal you."

The sound of running water filled his ears, and he realized he was standing within a privileged and sacred place where only royalty were allowed entrance. If only he had possession of his other senses to appreciate it better...

Blethinette beckoned him to walk, and he did, relying on muscle memory to keep him balanced. As he did, he heard the king speak, but Auronmar ignored his words, striving to listen to what was around him. He caught the whisper of wind through foliage and the clomping of his boots on a hard surface. It wasn't till he heard his name that his attention was drawn towards the ceremony's speech.

"I, Sondin Sangrar accept you, Auronmar Rubio. Discard your lineage and accept the blood," the king said.

"I, Della Sangrar accept you, Auronmar Rubio. Discard your lineage and accept the blood," the queen echoed.

Auronmar turned towards the sound of the voices though he knew only the king was able to see him. The queen was blinded and senseless just like him, for she is also not a true Sangrar. Even now, the fountain's location would remain a secret to her as it would forever remain a secret to him.

He felt Blethinette let go of his hand without feeling it. It wasn't till a minute later of standing in silence that he sensed her with him again.

He heard her voice say, "I, Blethinette Sangrar accept you, Auronmar Rubio. Discard your lineage and accept my blood. Become my whole and become my king."

His ability to feel, and only feel, returned to him and brought along the world's touch. Wind kissed his skin. The sensation of being surrounded by grass, sky, and people dawned on him. A dull ache on his side reminiscent to a blade wound bothered him.

"Here, dear," Blethinette whispered to him as she brought something soft to his lips, "eat it."

He accepted the gift, consuming the thin texture that was given to him. It was tart but he forced it down.

"It is not so much the blood that binds you, but it is your sense of unity that now holds you together and will hold you together so long as you accept yourselves as one," King Sondin said, his voice like sandpaper. "Fuse your unity, Auronmar and Blethinette."

He hadn't finished his sentence when Blethinette's lips pressed onto his. A surge of power filled him, unlocking the Mahou seal that was earlier placed on him before entering the fountain. Pools of power manifested inside of him. He could feel each branch of Mahou flow through his body, raw and potent, and recognized each one as it poured into his existence.

The rush made his head swim; time was an unknown entity. It felt like days until he was able to see and touch and smell and taste and more again, but when normality settled upon him, he knew it was hours at most that had passed. He found himself back in the castle, alone with Blethinette.

They were in a room furnished by couches, tables, and other random ornaments Auronmar didn't care for. His attention was drawn towards his new wife before him. It was the first he had seen of her all day.

She was dressed in her usual ruffles, but this time they hardly hid anything. Her skirt was open in the front in an upside down "v" fashion, the curved hem falling behind her legs to pool on the ground. Her blouse hung on her like a second skin held together by a single buckle over her breasts. She stepped up to him, her bare feet silent on the cool floor.