Chapter 4: Dad, stop, please

"We are the only one who can find them?" Elwin asked with concern. "Yes, unfortunately, if us constellations go chasing after them, Andromeda can find us and get them," Aries replied. Elwin looked at me with big puppy eyes. "Can I not be part of this?" Elwin sighed. "Nope, we are in this together." I replied slightly annoyed.

Aries made an acoustic guitar appear out of nowhere all the sudden and began playing the chords for Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland. I glared at him, and he slowly stopped playing. Elwin just stared in amazement.

"I think I should leave." Aries said standing pulling out his whip. "Are you going to come back?" Elwin asked clearly distressed. "Of course." He replied cracking the whip and disappearing in a second.

"Elwin!" a male's voice called from out of the room. "Uh, yes dad." Elwin called back to his dad. Footsteps came close to the room and the door opened. "Oh, you're in here." Elwin's dad said poking his head in. "Hi, Mr. Norven." I say abruptly. "Hey, haven't seen you in a while, Anne." Mr. Norven says in a delighted tone. "I know," I say blushing and rolling my eyes.

"Can she stay to eat?" Elwin asks in a quiet tone. "If she wants." His dad said glancing at me. "Hell yeah." I blurt excitedly. Mr. Norven raised a brow at me. "Sorry," I apologize, "no rules at my house." Mr. Norven chuckled at me and proceeded to leave closing the doors behind him.

Elwin's dad was a gentleman, smart, and funny. He's what a girl would call, a perfect man, and I would have to agree. I know it's weird for me to admit such a strange thing, but I'm strange anyway. His dad was only thirty-one but looked like he was twenty. Unaffected by time.

Half an hour later Mr. Norven called us out for dinner. He made eggrolls and tao chicken. He knew how to spoil his guests.

As we sat and ate I looked around at the kitchen. It had been a while since I've ate here. The chair to my left was empty. I remember Elwin's step mom used to sit here. She gave me a vibe that made me angry to my core but I always held it in.

I think it has been four years since she had been around. And I've never asked about. Elwin wasn't fond of here. When ever she was brought up Elwin would just shut down.

"So, Elwin," Mr. Norven began after swallowing a bit off eggroll, "how was school?" He could have waited till Elwin was done drinking milk because Elwin ended up spitting his milk out all over the table. He knew if he stayed at home all day, his dad would not understand and be upset.

"I... I got..." Elwin stuttered. "He got sick at lunch." I lied for him. Mr. Norven knitted a brow rolled his eyes. "Sorry to hear." His dad said getting up to get a towel. Elwin's face was red like a rose. I patted his shoulder and watched Mr. Norven leave the room.

"You spit your milk all the time, well mainly because I tell a joke at the wrong time. Why are you embarrassed." I said trying to look into his eyes. Elwin looked at me and said, "I'm used to doing it in front of you two, but not him." Elwin pointed to the other side of himself, and there stood goat dad, Aries. "Are you serious?" I whispered aggressively at him. Aries chuckled and walked over to Elwin. Elwin's shoulders tensed up.

"Alright let's get this cleaned up." Mr. Norven said coming back into the room with a towel. I smiled and nodded in agreement, but looked back at Elwin, who was still tensed up looking at his hands.

"Elwin?" I say softly. He looks up at me slowly turning back to his original color. "I'm good." he insisted. Mr. Norven and I picked up the dishes and moved them as Elwin cleaned the milk he spat everywhere. Somehow in this whole thing, I ended up doing dishes, and Mr. Norven dried them. I glanced over my shoulder to check on Elwin. Aries was leaning on the table talking to Elwin, who didn't seem to be tense anymore.

We soon finished the dishes and I started to leave. Which I was quite sad about. Aries held the door open as I walked toward it.

"Good to see you again Anne." Mr. Norven said sitting down in the living room. "You too, and thanks for the food." I replied taking a step out the door. I was surprised Mr. Norven didn't question the door just staying open.

I turn around and looked and Elwin, he smiled at me then looked up at Aries, and waved. Aries was shocked at first but then bowed his head.

What did they talk about while was doing dishes? I thought to myself. Guess I'll ask some other time. I was too worn out by today to much to care right now.

As Aries and I walked across the street his, warm red glow comforted me. Sometimes these streets felt cold and creepy, but not tonight. Somehow I just couldn't find a way to fear Aries. His whole aura felt calming. Like the feeling of being safe and warm on a Christmas day, by the fireplace. I wanted to know more about the constellations. I wanted to meet them. I hope I get to see them sooner than expected.

When I got to my doorstep I picked up my backpack I had dropped there after school. I just wanted to skip school and figure out this astrological problem. I reached for the door handle but stopped myself. I looked back at Elwin's house. The feeling of looking back at the beautiful house made me sad. I don't know why but it did. I shook away the feeling of sadness overwhelming me, and smile. I grinned and whisper, "good night, Elwin." before actually opening the door and entering my home.