13 -- The Cold Stone

Breezepaw padded up to the new deputy. "I would like to personally congratulate you. You have worked long and hard, and you deserve BrambleClan's respect." The cream apprentice dipped her head to Sliverstone, and Sliverstone laughed at the act.

The deputy playfully punched the younger's shoulder. "Stop messing around, I'm not that special."

Breezepaw scrunched up her face in a smirk. "Who's going to be leader when Bramblestar's gone? Who gets to organize the patrols? Who gets to lead secret orders?"

Sliverstone rolled her eyes. "Who gets to stay up all day and all night performing duties and not get a blink of sleep?"

Breezepaw thought for a second. "Huh! Well, better you than me."

Sliverstone smiled then brought her muzzle to the she-cat's ear. "Don't worry, when I'm leader, I'll make you a warrior," she took a breath as she heard the apprentice gasp in delight, "Breezesong."

* * *

Sliverstar tossed around uncomfortably in her nest. Bramblestar had recently retired to spend quality time with his daughter. The tom told Sliverstar that he knew his time was coming soon, and his last life wasn't going to last him too long. She understood, and the clan understood. It didn't need an explanation to see the white hairs around the former leader's muzzle.

"Plus, we need a new set of eyes to lead this clan," Amberclaw had told her.

Sliverstar lied on her side, restless, images of earlier that night repeating in her head. Milkywillow had taken the new leader to the Cold Stone to receive her nine lives. It was a chilling experience.

The trip below the cave into pitch darkness was unsettling. She felt a presence as if someone were following her. At the end of the tunnel was a large crystal formation, its faces smooth as water. Faint screams and cries of the dead cats echoed in the small cave. It was not long ago had they discovered the rock. Even Milkywillow seemed on edge.

The silver she-cat closed her eyes and tried to block out the disturbing noises, but they only grew louder. Soon it felt as if the cats were there in the cave, crying by her side. Sliverstone couldn't take it. She opened her eyes and felt her heart pounding with fear.

She was no longer in the cave. Nine cats surrounded her, their pelts sparkling with stars. The cries had stopped and all that was heard was Sliverstone's shaky breath. A gray and black tom stood in front of her, his eyes seeming to continuously change its hue as if they had forgotten their original color.

"Sliverstone," the tom addressed, his voice not coming from his mouth but from every direction. "My name is Gemstone, founder and leader of The Place of Cold Waters."

Waiting for an answer, Sliverstone stumbled on her words, "Oh, h-hi-hello, th-eh-Gemstone." She faked a smile but shrunk away as she realized she probably looked very childish. "Er.. sorry, Gemstone." She shuffled her paws.

"Sliverstone, it is time you received your lives." The tom's voice forced the new leader into a straight posture, afraid to show any sign of hesitation.

* * *

Sliverstar tried to shut her eyes, but the awful images flashed in her memory. Finally, the new leader gave up and sat facing the entrance. An eerie shadow slipped its way into the light, and Sliverstar's hackles rose. "Ow-ow-ow-owl!"