8 -- The Stone of Tears

The Stone of Tears glittered in false moonlight deep underground. Sliverstone stared into her reflection, her blue eyes reminding her of her sister's. Crystalblaze had been isolated from her since her mentor Sparrowtail had refused to let her train with the rest of the apprentices saying "A true warrior needs to learn to focus on herself and what's around her." Now that they were warriors, Sliverstone wished to once again be close with her sister.

Face only illuminated by the soft glow of the Stone of Tears, Milkywillow showed herself beside the new warrior. "Go ahead," the medicine cat commanded. Every new warrior was to travel down into the gem cave to receive a glimpse of their destiny, and now it was Sliverstone's turn.

The white-faced she-cat lowered herself to the ground and shut her eyes. Immediately, she felt herself lifted as if she were a kit once again, being picked up by her mother. She heard a soft whisper of a sound rising up and down.

She smelled food, but it wasn't fresh-kill. The foul odor reminded her of crow-food. The sounds grew louder and louder until the new warrior had to cover her ears in annoyance of the repetitive loops.

There were flashes of lights, all different colors, black stone... This isn't West Woods. There were dogs and fire and twolegs, and the sounds pierced her ears until Sliverstone had a headache.

Violent flashes of lights caused her to squint. There was lots of spinning and lights and sounds and spinning and lights. Sliverstone felt herself gag. She tried to shut her eyes and ears to close out everything, but nothing seemed to stop the visions. Then she saw a cat.

It was a black and white cat. She was alone by the edge of West Woods, across the river border, back facing the new warrior. Sliverstone squinted past her. She saw the small outline of BrambleClan. Then the cat turned her head, her eyes black as coal...

"No! No! There was a cat!" Sliverstone jumped awake, fur on end. "Th-there was a-a cat!"

Shaking from fear, Sliverstone felt Milkywillow's paw on her shoulder. "Shh, shh, shhh... You're a special cat. You must get used to these types of surprises." Slowly, the new warrior began to steady her breath and calm down. "It'll be hard, but it's the only way to move on."

The two cats sat in silence for a moment until Sliverstone's heartbeat had returned to normal. "Are you ready to leave?"

Sliverstone swallowed, "Yeah, I'm ready." As the cats felt their way out of the cave, the silver warrior couldn't help but think of her vision. Was that my destiny? Who I'm meant to be?