Chapter 14

A few days passed since that fateful night, and before you ask, no, I didn't hook up with Jackson. Keep on dreaming you love sick puppies.

Anyways, before I knew it, it was time to pack everything and head out. I hate to admit it, but I didn't want to leave this place. I had actually made friends here. Real friends.

My limbs seemed to move as slow as possibly when I stuffed my clothes and other belongings into my suitcase. Even despite my slow pace, the time to leave rolled around within 30 minutes.

"Are you gonna miss me Becca?" Jackson elbowed me as we exited our cabin for the last time.

"No way." I scrunched my nose playfully. "If anything, I'll be throwing a party at my place and won't even think of you until school starts again."

"Well that's not very nice." Jackson pouted, trying hard to keep a straight face.

I punched his arm and laughed. "I'm kidding you dope."

Jackson let a laugh slip through his lips. "Yeah, I know."

We quickly arrived at the front of camp, the rickety old bus rolling to a stop. It let out a cough and sputtered smoke into the awaiting kids faces. The doors creaked open to let in the oncoming flood of kids.

"I guess this is it..." My sentence trailed off as I looked up at Jackson, his eyes meeting mine longingly. He looked like he was going to say something, but he was cut off by a voice.

"C'mon Becca, let's go." Violet looked at me expectingly as she strode to the bus.

"I'll be a minute." I called after her. I looked back at Jackson. "What were you going to say?"

Jackson had love swimming in his eyes, but he was silent for a moment, staring into my big blue eyes. "Umm... I think I forgot."

"You did not!" I laughed. "C'mon, just spit it out."

"I don't think I can say how I feel... but maybe I could show you." He suddenly leaned in and kissed my lips, drawing me in closer to his body. I was surprised by his sudden action, but I didn't recoil from his grasp like I would just a week ago. Instead, I leaned in closer so there was almost no space in between us. But it just didn't feel right.

I suddenly broke away from Jackson. "I'm sorry Jackson... but I don't think I can just jump back into this. I mean it's only been a little over a month since the break up and..."

"And?" Jackson inquire, releasing me from his grasp.

"Maybe... maybe after a while... but not now." I felt my face flush in embarrassment.

"I understand." Jackson nodded his head, disappointment echoing in his voice. He forced a small smile. "Well, I'll be waiting for when your ready."

"I'll remember that." I returned his nod and approached the bus. When I didn't hear him come after me, I turned so I faced him.

"Aren't you coming?"

"No, sorry," Jackson shook his head and cast his face toward the ground. "My mom insisted on picking me up."

"Oh." I walked back over to him and gave him and hug. "I'll see you next year then."

"Yeah, you too." He wrapped his arms around me in return.

I inhaled his minty scent one last time before boarding the bus. I found a seat next to Violet as the bus took off. I waved to Jackson, a sad smile playing at the edge of my lips. He waved back with a bright smile before he disappeared behind the trees. My smile faded as I slumped in my seat.

"You still like him?" Violet asked, curiosity filling her voice.

I looked at my suitcase and sighed. Just then, I noticed a slip of paper poking through the zipper. I opened it up and realized it was a sketch. The sketch I made the night of the dance, expect that a heart encompassed Jackson and I. I smiled to myself and looked back out the window, memories flooding my vision.

"Yes." I responded. I rubbed my thumb on the sketch, blurring the crisp lines. "I'll always love him, no matter what he does, or where he goes, I'll love him."

"I didn't ask if you loved him." Violet cocked her head in confusion.

A smile as bright as Jackson's plastered itself on my face. I looked Violet dead in the eye. 

"I know."