Chapter 8

I woke that morning at 10:30. As I was yawning the drowsiness in my eyes away, an announcement came over the loudspeaker.

"Attention campers. You will be able to go to the cafeteria and only the cafeteria unless told otherwise. Thank you." The loudspeaker shut off.

I edged out of bed and walked over to my dresser to retrieve a pair of black shorts and a light pink tank top. I went into the bathroom and brushed my hair and teeth, then got dressed. You could see my white sports bra underneath the tank top I wore, but I was to lazy to get a white tank top to wear under it.

I exited the bathroom and left the cabin, Jackson still trying to get out of bed. I went to the cafeteria and immediately started looking for Amara. She had to be here somewhere in here. Unfortunately, I didn't spot her anywhere. I sighed and got a brunch consisting of a hamburger, bacon, fried eggs, and a Pepsi.

'Where could she be?' I wondered as I absently chewed my burger. When I finished, I decided to circle around the camp and search for her.

When I got out of the building, I unfurled my wings and shook them, reliving them of the soreness in their muscles. I took a running start and with one flap, I was airborne.

I circled the camp like a vulture, scanning the area for Amara. After about a half hour of looking, I couldn't find her anywhere. Then a thought popped in my head. She could be in her cabin.

I spotted cabin 3 and landed next to the door, a cloud of dust rising around me. I knocked on the door. Silence. After a while, I knocked again. Again, nothing.

Hesitantly, I opened the door. There was no one inside. The only sign that Amara was here was the rumpled sheets on her bed. Violet's bed was made and looked nice. The blood stained blankets were no longer here. I was about to leave when I noticed something on her dresser. I moved closer to see it was a journal.

I traced my fingers over the smooth cover of the journal. Curiously, I opened the journal to the first page.

7-6-2106

I'm so excited! It's the last day of school. No more kids staring at me like I don't belong. I just get to stay at home and read. I'm so relived!

Scratch that, I just found out my parents are sending me to summer camp. This is absolute bogus! I think they suspect that I don't have any friends, so their making me go to this camp. Maybe it's just because I haven't told them about my power yet...

6-7-2106

The first day of camp didn't go as bad as I thought. I actually met a really nice girl named Becca. She's the first person who's talked to me in forever, or least, wasn't forced to. Anyway, maybe this place won't be so bad after all.

6-8-2106

I can feel it. She's getting angry. She is going to crack soon and do something really bad. Is it because I haven't been with her? Or is it something deeper? I'm getting scared. I don't know what going to happen, but it's going to be bad...

I flipped the page and gasped in horror. In huge, sloppy lettering, it read:

YOU'RE NEXT

I dropped the journal back on the dresser, my hands trembling. Amara must know I'm on to her. But what could have Violet done to make Amara so mad, mad enough to kill her?

I quickly got out of the cabin and retreated back to my own. There, Jackson was waiting for me.

"Hey Tawny, I've been thinking," Jackson started.

"This oughta be good." I raised my eyebrows and sat on the edge of his bed.

"Oh can it." Jackson crossed his arms, a fake pout on his face. "I'm trying to be sincere for once and you try to interrupt me. How rude. "

"Sorry." I said sarcastically. "Continue."

"Anyways, I was thinking that I should help you find your friend's killer. I mean, think of all the adventures we could go on." Jackson raised his hand and moved it dramatically. "I can see it now. Jackson the Great and Tawny, solving mysteries and busting the bad guys. What do you think?"

"I think you've lost your mind." I replied.

"Oh come on Tawny, you can't leave me out on something like this! It's an opportunity I can't pass up." Jackson looked at me with his pleading, sad puppy brown eyes.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Fine, but I have some rules if you're really gonna do this with me."

"Okay, what are they?" Jackson asked, leaning forward.

"First, you can't call me Tawny."

"Whatever you say T-, I mean Becca." Jackson smiled.

I rolled my eyes. "Second, you have to take it seriously."

"Sure." Jackson nodded. "I can do that. Next."

"Third, you have to listen to me."

"Listen? Me. Listen?" Jackson raised an eyebrow and combed through his brown hair. "I don't think I can do that."

"That's fine. You don't have to help me if you don't want to." I was about to get up when Jackson tackled me and pinned me on the bed.

"No, I do!" He exclaimed. I tried pushing him off, but he was too heavy. Then, I tried rolling under his grasp, but he was holding on to me too tight. "I'm not going to let you go until you agree that I don't have to listen to you."

I caught a whiff of mint as he leaned in closer, almost crushing my chest. The action took my breath away and made my wings flutter underneath me.

"Well?" Jackson's minty breath was the only thing I could smell.

I wanted to stay silent so Jackson would stay there, but instead, I murmured, "Fine."

"Thanks." His bright teeth flashed a smile before he retracted away from me. "Maybe I'll listen to you, but only a little."

"Good to know." I grumbled.

"You're just mad that you can't boss me around." Jackson said smuggly.

"Sure." I said, laying in my bed, suddenly feeling a wave of drowsiness. "I'm going to take a nap, so don't bother me."

"Alrightly." Jackson cooed.

I set my head on my pillow, immediately falling into a troubled sleep, involving a girl repeating, 'you're next'.