Chapter 5

Dinner was pretty uneventful. I had chosen a hamburger and fries and sat down at a table, soon followed by Violet with a salad topped with ranch dressing. We talked and ate, then returned to our cabins. 

Currently, I was reading one of the many books I brought along. It was about human without any special abilities. It really boggled my mind how humans could have not had powers. I mean, powers are life. There was even a class in school to help you control your power. It was crazy!

Anyway, I could feel my eyes start to droop. I set down the book and yawned while stretching. I looked up at the clock perched just above the door. 10:08.

It was quiet in the cabin. To quiet.

Then, I realized that Jackson wasn't present. I jumped off the bed and went over to a window with a platform underneath it with pillows on it. I scanned the area, but I really couldn't see anything in the thick darkness of night. 

I could only imagine what trouble Jackson could himself into. He was such a troublemaker that he could be burning down the whole place for all I know. 

A sudden thump at the door caught my attention. I rushed over, just about to open it when Jackson burst through the door. 

"Where were you!" I exclaimed. 

He turned to me with glassy eyes, a dopey grin plastered on his face. Jackson took a step toward me, our noses almost touching.

"Somewhere." He muttered, the stench of alcohol clinging to breath.

'Well, that explains it.' I thought. I shoved him back and gave him the death glare.

"What is wrong with you!" I yelled. "Do you really think that drinking beer in the middle of the night is a good idea? What the fuck is wrong with you!?"

"You look pretty when your angry." Jackson stared at me with unfocused eyes, a dreamy half smile on his lips.

My face flushed red with anger and embarrassment, my wings and fists trembling with fury.

"Why did I agree to do this stupid summer camp?" I said. "I wish I would have just stayed at home."

"Oooh." Jackson laughed. "Watch out, Tawny's bringing out the colorful language!" He fell back on the bed, doubling over with laughter.

"And of all people in this fucking summer camp, it's just my luck I would get stuck with you!" I screamed. Silence.

"Seems like someone is tired." Jackson cooed, laying back on the bed and putting his arms behind his head. "You need to go to bed young lady."

"I can't deal with this." I muttered under my breath. I turned my back to him and strode out the door.

A cool breeze cooled the sweat streaming from my body. The only sound was the quiet songs of crickets that were hiding in the undergrowth. I sighed.

'I'll just see if Violet wants to take me in tonight.' I thought. 

Carefully, I made my way through the dark, sticking to the dimly lit trail that led to all the cabins. I could just make out the one I was looking for. The one with a big 3 on the front door. I climbed the steps and lightly knocked on the door.

There was a moment of silence, than the sound of creaking wood. Violet opened the door, her eyes widening when she saw me.

"Becca? What are you doing here?" She asked. Violet leaned closer to me and whispered, "Is there something wrong?"

"No, I was just wondering if I could stay here for the night." I replied.

Violet gave me a suspicious look. Hesitantly, she opened the door wider to let me in.

"Just be quiet, okay? My roommate is asleep." Violet went over to her bed a plopped down on it. On the other bed, Violet's roommate was bundled in her blankets, so I couldn't see her face.

"So, why exactly did you come here?" Violet asked quizzically. 

"It's Jackson." I sighed, sitting on the bed beside her. "You know, the guy at the river?"

Violet nodded her head, a sudden understanding lighting up her eyes.

"He's really drunk, and I just don't want to deal with that right now." I shook my head and sighed again. "Things used to be so different between the two of us."

Violet's small button nose twitched in distaste, but she didn't say anything. She looked at me with an expecting look in her eye, like she wanted me to continue. 

I bit my lip nervously. Do I really want to tell her what happened between the two us? I glanced over at her. Violet was just a small, insecure teen who had no friends. Who else would she tell?

"You can't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you, okay?" I gazed at Violet. She nodded in return.

"I promise I won't tell anyone." Violet smiled reassuringly.

"Jackson and I... we used to date. We were the 'cutest couple in the whole school', or at least, that's what I was told. We dated for a year. We were happy." A small smile spread across my face, but was quickly replaced by a scoff. 

"But I guess even the happiest couples can't make it through high school together. Suddenly, he just started acting weird. He was avoiding me. It made me feel... uneasy." I looked down at my fingers and started to fiddle with them. "A little after that... I found out that he had been cheating on me. He didn't admit to it, but I know that he was. Everyone knew he was eyeing up a girl in our grade."

I paused a second, taking a deep breath. "You have no idea how I felt. It was like my heart had been ripped in half and then stomped on. I just couldn't believe it." I bit my lip, feeling like the whole thing had just happened yesterday. "We got into a fight, and we officially broke up. Ever since then, he's been an absolute dick."

I shook my head. "He used to be so different. I barely even recognize him anymore. I... I miss the old Jackson." I held back tears as I said this.

"You know, I think he's really missing out." I raised my head to meet Violet's eyes, seeing genuine honesty in them. "He may not love you anymore, but... I think you do... don't you?"

I hesitated for a second before answering. "When you fall in love with someone, I don't think you ever really get over them."

Violet nodded in understanding. We sat there in silence, except for the soft snores of Violet's roommate.

"Do you want to go to bed? I don't mind sleeping on the floor." Violet offered.

I chuckled. "Yeah, I'm pretty tired, but this is your cabin. I won't let you take the floor."

"It's fine, honestly." Violet said, already gathering extra blankets and pillows. "Plus, you've had a pretty rough night."

"If you say so." I layed down on the bed and covered myself with the blankets. I turned on my left side as Violet got settled on the floor. I reached over and turned off the lamp. 

"Becca?" Violet's quiet voice whispered.

"Yes?" I whispered back. 

"Goodnight." 

"Goodnight Violet." I smiled to myself and closed my eyes.