Chapter 9

That night I was restless. I couldn't fall asleep for the life of me. I decided to go for a walk by the river.

As quiet as I could, I snuck out of the cabin. The person over the loudspeaker may not want me to go anywhere but the cafeteria, but I was going to anyway. They can't control me.

Anyways, I stumbled through the dark, tripping over hidden rocks and roots every few feet. When I strayed away from the lit trail, my only source of light was the moon's faint glow.

My skin was chilled by the cool night air. I suddenly regretted not wearing long sleeves. I weaved through the trees until I reached the river. Spreading my wings, I flew over to the other side of the rushing river so no one could bother me.

Then, I started walking, trying to unscramble my thoughts. I directed my gaze towards the river. It had a stronger current then by the beach. The water gurgled and splashed the shore. Moonlight illuminated the surface, making it look like something from a story.

'I have to find Amara.' I thought. 'She has to be the one who killed Violet. There aren't any more suspects.'

This summer camp was supposed to be fun, a place where I could just relax and enjoy myself. Instead, it's turned into a murder mystery with the most unreliable person that I know. I'd definitely take a murder case over a nice vacation at the beach. Who wouldn't? (For all those idiots out there, I'm being sarcastic)

A sudden crack of a twig made my head whip around. I stared into the forest, only seeing a doe staring at me with it's ears pricked and eyes wide, it's eyes reflecting the moon's light. I could have sworn I saw a flash of gray as well. I sighed in relief and continued walking along the river.

'I should probably head back.' I thought. I shook out my wings and was about to take off when I heard the crashing of the undergrowth. I turned and saw the doe bolt through the trees, clearly spooked by something. I blinked and turned back toward the river and prepared to take off.

Suddenly, someone pushed my back. It threw me off balance and plunged into the river. Just before I hit the water, I twisted in the air and saw a figure in a black hood, a smile playing at its lips.

I landed with a big splash. I sunk to the bottom of the river, my right wing hitting a rock at an awkward angle. Pain immediately spread throughout the wing, making me hold back a scream.

My head bobbed to the surface, gasping for air. I tried to swim to the shore, but the current wouldn't let me. I was being swept away by the river, and no one else was out here.

"Help!" I yelled, desperation flooding my voice. "Someone help!"

I was quickly looking my strength to keep paddling. A sudden downward current sucked me under the surface. I tried to fight it, to make my way back to the surface. But the current was to strong.

'I guess this is where it ends.' I thought, stopping my effort to paddle and letting my body go limp. 'I'm sorry Violet.'

Suddenly, hands grabbed my body and pulled me toward the surface. I didn't even have enough strength to look up at the person. I felt drained as the person burst through the surface. I took a huge gulp of air as I was dragged to the shore.

I collapsed onto the sand, still gasping for air. I shivered, the water making the night air seen even colder. I looked up to see who my savior was and gasped.

Before me was a girl with dark skin and tiny, red and black braids falling from her head that reached her mid back. A silver nose ring glinted in the moonlight. She had a black tank top on with camo bottoms and combat boots. She blinked at me with big brown eyes.

"Amara?" I asked.

"That's me." Amara nodded.

I didn't know what to say. Here I was, being saved by the same person who killed someone. I was absolutely dumbfounded.

"No need to thank me or anything." Amara hissed. " I could have just left you in the river to drown. I'm not really a fan of water. "

"I'm... I'm sorry." I shook my head. " I didn't mean to be rude. "

"It's okay." She said.

Throbbing in my wings turned my attention away from Amara. I looked at the wing. There was a red wound I could see through the feathers, oozing blood.

"Are you okay?" Amara asked, during up the wound.

"It'll be fine." I said, wincing as I tucked the wing back in.

"Here." Amara ripped off a piece of her tank top. "Give it here."

Reluctantly, I stretched out my wing. Amara wrapped the strip of cloth around the wound tightly, making me flinch.

"Sorry." She apologized.

"Do you know anything about Violet's death?" I asked suddenly.

"My roommate?" Amara shook her head. "No. I wish I did though. I'm the curious type." A flash of grief flashed in her eyes, but it was quickly replaced with her usual steely gaze. "I don't think the police have found anything either."

I could tell she cared about Violet, even if she didn't want anyone to know. So, she couldn't be the killer, could she?

My head spun, not having a clue to who could have killed Violet now.

"Do you have any idea who could have?" I asked.

Amara paused for a second before answering. "That Jackson guy seems like he would do it."

"Jackson? " I said, taken back.

"Yeah, he's cocky and arrogant. Seems like he's keeping a secret of some sort." She snorted. Amara backed away and looked at her work. "That should stay. You'll have to go to the infirmary tomorrow though. Should I walk you back to your cabin? "

"No I'll be fine." I turned and was about to leave, but something popped into my head. "Hey Amara?"

"Yeah?" She asked, turning to me.

"Why were you out here?"

Amara smiled. "Looking for Violets killer. He must be the one who made you fall in the river." With that, she disappeared into the night, searching for the killer.