Chapter 1

The big hand on the clock couldn't move any slower. Tick, tick, tick. My teacher wouldn't stop yammering on about what she planned on doing over her summer break. Tick, tick, tick. I pulled my cloak closer to my body in anticipation. Ding! Ding!

The final bell of the year rang through the classroom. Everyone immediately rushed to the door, including me.

"Have a nice summer break!" The teacher called after us. Nobody replied. The hallway was like a fighting ring, kids slamming and shoving others into the lockers. A few were even using their powers. Idiots.

I didn't have anything left in my locker because everything was already dumped off at my house, so I headed straight to the door. I hated wearing backpacks. They hurt my wings way too much.

I opened the glass doors and quickly spotted my mom's car in it's usual spot. I started heading that way when I spotted him.

"Have a nice break Tawny!" Jackson called. He and his group of friends laughed and kept walking. I clenched my teeth and pulled my black cloak's hood over my head.

Everyone at my school didn't really mess with me. They knew better. But Jackson couldn't help himself. He always had to find some way to irritate me. His newest way was to call me Tawny, in reference to my wings. They resembled a Great Owl's; black, brown and cream. That's why I started to wear this cloak to school. Now people can't stare at my wings all the time. I hated the extra attention.

I pulled the handle to my mom's white Ford Fusion. It was getting pretty old. There were small spots of rust gathering on the bottom of it. I swung into the car and buckled my seatbelt.

"How was your last day of school?" My mom immediately asked while driving away from the school.

"Same old same old." I replied. She glanced over at me. Reaching out her hand, she removed my hood, revealing my long brown hair.

"Why do you where that to school everyday now? You look much better without it." Mom insisted.

"Just because." I fiddled with the end of the long cloak. Mom sighed. We sat in silence for a while.

"Becca?" My mom's voice was suddenly unsure.

"Yeah?"

"What would you say if I signed you up for a summer camp?"

"What?" I stared at Mom. "Did you?"

Mom bit her lip. "Possibly."

"Mom!" I yelled. "What were you thinking!?"

"You just don't interact with anyone. I thought this would be a good experience for you. It's only for two weeks." Mom tapped on the steering wheel. "You leave tomorrow."

My wings were trembling with anger. I wanted to yell at her, but I knew that wouldn't be a very good idea. I crossed my arms and didn't speak the rest of the way home.

When we got home, Mom ordered me to pack my bags right away. I didn't argue. I took my suitcase out of my closet and started to neatly pack outfits in it. Tank tops, shorts, swimming suits, sweatshirts, all that good stuff.

I still couldn't believe Mom signed me up for this stupid summer camp. It was ridiculous. She didn't even ask me!

I took off my cloak and set it on my bed. It always made my wings feel enclosed and hot, but it was better than getting stared at all the time. I stretched out my wings, relishing the soreness getting chased away from my muscles.

I continued to pack up for camp. Toothbrush, toothpaste, brush, hair ties, towels, my sketchpad and pencils. I double checked that everything that I needed was packed. When I was satisfied, it was already five o'clock. I decided to go and fly for a little bit.

I went into the backyard. We had a small stretch of trees behind our house. I spent a lot of time observing the wild life there and replicating it in my sketchpad.

I took a running start. With one push of my wings, I was off the ground and airborne. I glided over the woods, the soft breeze caressing my cheeks. I loved the way the my wings cut through the wind. It was somehow satisfying.

I circled back to our house as the sun was setting. I entered and went straight to my room. I picked up the book I was reading off of my dresser. That night, I read until I fell asleep.