XXVI

Moving back over to lean on the counter after dropping the dishes in the sink for whoever is on wash duty - it doesn't matter who's cooked, after each meal we have a designated washer like we have a chosen chef - I stick my tongue out in thought. I'm about to start a conversation with Caleb but I'm distracted by Lizzy's aggravation knocking into me like a truck. Flicking my eyes over to her, I find that she's staring down at her food with disgust and loathing - but it isn't at the meal, rather herself which is more concerning than the minimal amount she has actually taken in.

Walking round the island, my hand trails across Lewis' back before it very gently lands on her shoulder. She jumps, snapping her head to the side to meet my eyes. "Had enough?" My voice is sincere, the first emotion to come out since I refuse to sound worried in front of everyone - we're a nosey pack. She timidly nods, keeping her gorgeous orbs from mine.

I lean down, whispering into her ear, "Don't worry about it. I put a lot on your plate, I forget no one has an appetite like me." She giggles enough to ease me, so I straighten my posture. Making a swift trip to the sink for my spoon, I waste no time in finishing off her plate. "Watch as she polishes the dish with her tongue, even after that family portion she inhaled." Without thinking, I throw the nearest object at Jake who's cockily grinning in the doorway after coming back from the bathroom.

A knife wedges itself in the wood of the doorframe, making him squeal and hit the ground. "Coward!" I barely get the word out before I jerk forward as Luke smacks me around the head. "Not at the wall please."

"She just threw a weapon at me, and you're concerned about the wall?" The screeching boy stands, holding his chest in a panic. "Please, if she had been aiming at you, you'd be dead. Besides, she wouldn't intentionally hurt you that much." Lulu waves his hand as he attempts to continue his talk with Harry. Jay grumbles in the background while retrieving the remains of his breakfast, the rest of us laughing at his frustration.

"You really do eat a lot." I pause the process of chewing, glancing up at Lizzy while halfway through topping up my mouthful. "I eat the average amount."

"Maybe for a hippo." Jake groans, then flinches when I threaten him with my spoon. "If you're not careful, this will cause a lot of damage." The angelic titters distract me long enough for the boy to knock me over - only proving to make her laugh more. "Twat." I wrap my hand around his ankle, pulling him down to my level.

As he's rolling around in a mood, I hop up and scoop up the last spoonful into my gob. "Right," sliding the pot into its waterhole, I swallow down the mushroom, "I'll see you in a bit, we're going to head up until training, I'll see you then." Luke nods, waving at me while now chatting to Sniffy about something or other.

Lizzy takes the cue, and as she's getting up, I snatch a family sized packet of crisps out of the bottom cupboard to ease my grumbling stomach. "How much can you eat before you get full?" She snickers, watching as my hand explores the fattening foods container. I have to genuinely think about creating an answer as we're climbing up to our floor. "I don't think I've ever been full, I always have room for more." Turning to see her reaction, she's shaking the shock from her brain.

Once in our own private space, I flop onto the bed whilst kicking my shoes off. She stays on her feet, sniggering at my tiny moans that come with crashing into the sheets. As I turn to look at her, she clamps her mouth shut and looks away as though she wasn't laughing at me.

"We have about half an hour to kill, feel like playing twenty questions?" I feel like a game that will allow us to get to know each other is the best course of action since I've never done this before, and she won't feel pressured to indulge me in every bit of her life. She nods, flicking her hair out of her eye. While she settles beside me, I stretch over to the side table to retrieve a bobble for her.