Ch. 3

Chapter 3

I stared at the little red hand flashing at us, just ten yards away. How long had we been standing here -- five, six minutes? I narrowed my eyes at the hand. It was mocking me, disappearing for a moment and then returning only to laugh at me. How could this one little hand have so much power over me? It had the power to tell my body what it could or could not do. Was someone controlling the hand and watching us from afar, pointing and laughing at our clear frustration?

"Fuck it!" Dave yelled, grabbing my wrist and pulling me across the empty street. As we reached the middle of the road, I saw the red hand abruptly switch to a white man walking, and I smiled. Me and this man... we were friends. I was friends with the little walking man, and together, we would defeat all evil red hands.

Shit, I was really high.

When we stepped up to the sidewalk, Dave locked his arm through mine. We walked for a few moments in silence, then he stopped and turned to me. "Damn, Cassidy," he grumbled, biting his lip.

"What?"

"You're really hot. Like, so fucking hot."

I couldn't stop the smile from tugging at the corners of my mouth. "And you're really drunk," I replied, looking away from him. I glanced around us, taking in the relatively empty streets. For a city that never sleeps, this place was pretty dead. Although I'm not quite sure what I expected at nearly four o'clock in the morning. We were just outside the entrance to my dorm building, and after spending the past five hours drinking and smoking weed with Dave, it was safe to say that I would have one hell of a hangover tomorrow.

Dave put his hand on my hip and pulled me closer to him. I could feel the heat radiating off his body. "Mmm not that drunk," he murmured, a lazy smile spreading across his face. "Not as drunk as you." His teeth were almost glowing in the dark, they were so white.

I rested a hand against his chest and leaned in towards him. "Oh really?" I whispered. Was that my attempt at being sexy? Why did I even try?

He pulled me in closer so that our bodies were pressed against one another. I could hear a faint groan in the back of his throat.

"Do you want to come upstairs?" I asked softly.

"Mm-hmm," he nodded slowly. His face leaned in to mine, our lips a mere inch apart. He was going to kiss me -- I could feel it. I closed my eyes, preparing for the soft impact, when I felt his lips brush past my cheek and land on my ear. He paused for a second, and then breathed out huskily, "I want to. But you're drunk and so am I, and I should go." He kissed my cheek and let his lips linger a little too long before letting me go.

-----------------------------------

My alarm went off three hours later, but I decided to skip my first class and sleep in. Who needs calculus, anyways? I'd make up the lesson online and catch up later.

I slept through my second alarm, and instead woke up hours later to the sound of Libby slamming the door shut as she waltzed through the dorm. "You're still sleeping? Wake the fuck up!" 

I groaned. "What time is it?"

"Like, 1:30."

1:30? I had somehow managed to sleep through all three of my classes, and I still had a pounding headache. "Shit," I grumbled, sitting up in my bed. "I didn't mean to sleep this late."

Libby grinned mischievously at me. "That just means you had one hell of a night!"

I smiled. "Yeah, I guess I did."

"Sooo..." she sang. "Who was that guy? Where'd you guys go?"

I shrugged. "His name's Dave, he's an actor -- in the film the party was for. I honestly don't know that much about him," I admitted, racking my brain for more details. Either he had told me his life and I had forgotten in my drunken state, or somehow I spent the night with a complete stranger that I knew nothing about. "We just kinda roamed around, did some crazy stuff I barely remember. I don't even know how old he or anything... but he said he'd call me."