Ch. 2

Chapter 2

I let my head sink into the cold pillow, staring up at the ceiling. There was a small yet noticeable crack above my bed. It looked like a tree trunk, with tiny branches expanding and intertwining above me. I swear, each day the branches grew bigger. 

This was the fourth day since I moved into my dorm. My roommate, Libby, was the first person to greet me when I got to the campus. She had already set up her half of the dorm to the left, which was fine by me, and then proceeded to help unpack all my boxes. My mom had them shipped beforehand to avoid traveling with so much luggage, and I had to admit that I was thankful she did. I still had two large cardboard boxes crammed on top of my desk that needed to be unpacked. Our dorm was so small, though, I honestly had no idea where to put half the things.

Libby's portion of the room was very bright. She hung up posters of reprinted Andy Warhol paintings and a giant collage she had made with photos of her friends and family. She was from Michigan, but you would never have guessed she wasn't a native New Yorker. Her short, choppy blonde hair and fashion-forward style made her fit in well with the other students. And although I had only met her a few days ago, I already liked Libby. There was something genuine about her that was undeniable. Her outspoken personality also helped us to meet others on our floor, and soon enough I had made a few friends.

Yet here I was, folding and re-folding the napkin in my hand, debating the same issue I had been all week. James.

Yeah, James from the plane. I know it sounds crazy, but we had some amazing conversations throughout the flight. For whatever reason, we really connected. He scribbled his number hurriedly on a napkin as the plane landed, and told me to give him a call if I ever wanted a tour guide around the city. Apparently he knew "all the amazing little places the tourists overlook".

A huge part of me wanted to accept his offer, but another said this was a bad idea. James was obviously much older than me, and probably under the impression that I was 21, considering he gave me his drink. Or maybe he knew I was younger and was just being friendly? Even so, I knew nothing about him besides the fact that he traveled often and had an addiction to reading. He was quirky and authentic. I smiled to myself just thinking about the way he looked at me intensely, as if he was truly interested in what I had to say. Would it be so bad if I just wanted to have another conversation with him? It didn't need to be anything romantic -- I wasn't looking for that, and I doubt he was either. I just wanted to know more about him. Even Libby thought I should at least text him. Of course, the thought crossed my mind that he would have forgotten who I was by now, or that he wouldn't be interested in seeing me. Hell, he could have given me a fake phone number out of pity or as a part of some cruel joke. 

The sudden opening of the door interrupted my thoughts. "Oh my god, Cassidy!" Libby burst into the room, beaming at me as she plopped down on her bed. "We just got invited to what is going to be the craziest party of our lives!"

I raised an eyebrow, mildly intrigued. "We did?"

"Well, I did. But Danny and Ryan said I could totally bring you, too!" She squealed, waving her hands around. "They're screening some film tonight at the Gateway Center, and one of the producers is throwing this huge after party. It's going to be insane, and we have to be there!"

I sat up and leaned back, allowing my shoulders to rest against the chilled bricks that formed the wall behind my bed. "Do we get to see the film, too?"

Libby shrugged. "I don't know, maybe. Who cares? This is the kind of party you go to and make connections," she said, still grinning at me. "You want to be in the movie industry? This is where it all starts! This night could change your life. Seriously, Cassidy, you have to come."