Blankets and Hoodies

I sit in the very corner of the gym lobby and stare at the clock, waiting for Gabe. I mean he's the one who suggested we meet here. Naturally, the drama classroom is not even that far from here. How the hell I managed to get here before he did is one of life's biggest mysteries. Honestly, this is ridiculous. Well, no, I'm not being fair. He is kinda small, so I guess the chance that he got ran over by the steady mob of students fleeing this prison as if it were on fire is pretty high.

Five minutes later and I'm still waiting.

Ten.

Fifteen and I pull my phone out of my pocket and stare at the six or so apps I have. I use it more for music, but I have to have something to help me pass the time. I go with Flappy Bird, which I played for five minutes when I first downloaded it the day before they took it down. Adam was basically screaming at me that I needed to get this damn thing. I think it's stupid and there's no way in hell it's nearly as bad as everyone says.

Twenty and I'm pissed as hell. What is this bird's problem with the pipes anyway? Can't it just go around them?

Twenty-five and I throw my phone across the room.

"Ow! Jeez, Dean-o, I know I'm late but do you need to throw things at me?"

I look up and Gabriel is just staring at me and rubbing his head, my phone at his feet. Oops.

"Sorry. I uh... I wasn't aiming for you." I stand up and sling my bag over my shoulder before I walk over to him and pick up my phone. "At least it isn't broken." Not like I can afford to get a new one at the moment anyway. I don't think Dad would be happy about that either, but honestly I think Bobby would help me get a new one or get it fixed before Dad even noticed.

"Yeah I'm happy for you but I don't think I can say the same for my skull." Drama queen.

"You'll be fine." I roll my eyes and throw an arm around his shoulders. "Let's go."

He makes a face at me and ducks away. "No, you hurt me, now I'm getting a restraining order."

"Uh huh, yet you're inviting me to your house."

"Shh I can uninvite you."

"Sure." I stuff my hands in my pockets and smirk at him.

"Don't you make that face at me." Gabe puts his hands on his hips and I'm pretty sure he's standing on his toes.

I just laugh and start to walk out. He doesn't follow and I don't turn around. I'm about halfway to the doors and I hear him dramatically, always dramatically, sigh and hurry to catch up.

"I hate you."

"Mhm. I'm sure."

We walk out of the school and the first thing I do is close my eyes and tilt my head up to the sky. Sunlight feels great, especially after a really long school day. I take in a deep breath and when I open my eyes again, out of the corner of my eye I see Gabe staring at me with an eyebrow raised.

"What?"

"Dude," he laughs, "you're not a plant."

"Oh come on, don't act like you've never done it."

"Yes, I have. But, like a normal human being, I only do it when I'm at the beach or a pool. Y'know, in the summer."

He's lucky I'm in a slightly good mood... and my hands are still in my pockets, because damn I am tempted to just wipe that smirk off his face.

That's a lie.

As great as that would feel, I'd rather not. I usually try to stay level headed, and though admittedly that doesn't always go so well, I find that punching a friend you made the day before is not a good idea.