Heaven or Hell?

I fix my still damp hair, using the microwave door as a mirror. Sighing, I give up. There's no way I can get it any better than it is now.

I hear Adam running down the hall and he bursts into our apartment. "Are we ready to leave yet?" Why is he so excited?

"No, Sam is taking his time in the bathroom." I tried to be loud enough so Sam would hear me and hopefully get the message.

"Jerk!" I guess he heard me.

"Just hurry up, bitch!" I call back.

Adam slumps down onto the couch and sighs dramatically. "But I'm hungry." He whined.

"You ate like an hour and a half ago." This kid is like a freaking vacuum.

"Yes but that was an hour and a half ago. I'm hungry now."

"You do realize the dinner won't be ready for almost another hour, and that's if we eat soon after we get there."

Adam groans and slides down the couch until he's almost on the ground. Just then Sam opens the bathroom door, running his hands through his wet hair to comb it.

"You ready yet? We're going to be late if we don't leave soon." I'm getting really impatient. If he was going to make me go to this thing, the least he could do is get ready on time.

He slips on his shoes and walks over to me. "Yeah, let's go."

I turn to say something to Adam, but the kid had already jumped up and was waiting by the door. I roll my eyes. I mean, seriously, he could at least tone down his excitement a little.

Once we get out of the apartment building, I gesture to Sam. "Lead the way."

Considering it's just a little past 5:30, the streets are filled with cars, and people are practically spilling off the sidewalk. We walk through the crowd, trying not to get separated or pushed around too much, which is not an easy task.

After about twenty minutes of enjoying the perks of rush hour in the city, we turn onto a road with a lot less people. Barely anyone, really. This street, named Pontiac I believe, is nothing but a dead end road with about ten large houses lining it.

"There is no way your friend lives in one of these houses. Are we taking a shortcut or something?" I glance down at him, waiting for a reaction. Seriously though, in a city like this, houses like these must cost a fortune. Our apartment is expensive enough.

"Gee, thanks." He stopped at the walkway of the house on the very end of the street. "Here we are."

The house was huge. Okay, maybe it's not huge, but it is certainly larger than the apartments. I have a couple friends that live just outside the city, but their houses weren't this large either. There's an extravagant garden that takes up half of their front yard. Crap, am I dressed well enough for this? I mean I know it isn't really a formal thing, but this place looks really classy and I'm just wearing a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. I look over at Sam, who is currently giving me a strange look, and to my relief he's just wearing jeans and an old plaid shirt.

"Are you going to stand there all day and stare or are you going to come with us?" Sam stared at me, Adam bouncing at his side. Nothing excited him more than food, and I am pretty sure all that bouncing burns off all the calories he eats.

"Yeah, yeah." I stuff my hands in my pockets and follow them up the stone path to the front door.

Adam raises a hand to knock on the door, but someone opens the door before he had the chance. The boy who stepped outside couldn't be much taller than Sam. He's got three, maybe four inches on him.