Stoick

I had never felt so alive in a kill. Although it technically isn't killing. I've just done another chiefly duty. I've brought another viking among our ranks. Another viking to help defeat the dragons.

He had been brought to Gothi's. She's our healer. Gothi ensures us that our new vikings remain calm during their transitions in life. We retrain them to be human and to forget their old lives as dragons. I remember when my wife, Valka, first joined us. I'd never met someone like her. She's always been different but there's nothing she could do to make me lose my feelings for her. She's my world.

Gothi's hut is quiet. I sat on a small stool waiting for the new comer to awaken. He stirred. I sat on edge. The door to Gothi's hut opens. I smile seeing Valka walk in. She places a kiss on my cheek and takes a seat next to me.

"Another one." She says softly.

I nod, taking her hand. "He needs a name, Val."

She looks him over, thinking. "Hiccup."

I look at her, taken aback. "After our son?"

She simply nods and watches the boy, impatiently waiting for him to wake. I couldn't disagree with her. It had been seventeen years since we had lost our sons. I couldn't blame her for wanting to name him after one of them. A part of me felt different now. Valka sat there smiling. Hiccup stirred again. Gothi approaches him. She goes to place a hand on him when suddenly he shoots up from the bed. He gasped for air, his chest heaving. Valka stands. She walks towards him and kneels by the bedside.

"Take deep breaths. Relax. You're safe." She reassures him.

He looks at her blankly. Not seeming to comprehend what was actually going on. His eyes were bloodshot. Green. They were bright green, just like Valka's and mine. He also had messy auburn hair. I stroke my beard seeing the similarity in color. I look over at Valka sitting next to him. The joy I saw in her face made me feel better than I had in seventeen years.

"What's going on?" Hiccup asks Valka, fear filled his eyes seeing his unknown surroundings.

"You're safe, Hiccup. Don't worry. We're going to take care of you. You'll always be safe with us." Valka says calmly.

He nods but remains with a confused look on his face, as though he had lost something. Valka held his hands and continued to reassure him that things were going to be okay. I couldn't move. Seeing Valka so happy, I couldn't do anything but smile.

Hiccup. We both got something back that we lost. A son. Just by looking at the two of them I knew one thing. He was going to be raised by us. He will be the next chief.

This Hiccup has joined our ranks. He has now also become my son.