Chapter 9: The Great Wizard

"Greetings, Brianna."

The guard in front of the pathway to the great wizard's den spoke sort of harshly to the royal secretary, which is not normal for a fairy to do so.

"I must speak the great wizard, I need his help," Brianna spoke with slight urgency as she tapped her fingers a little.

"My my. He's busy. It'll have to wait, dear." The guard snickered.

Brianna's worried expression turned to one of slight anger. She fumed, pulling out her wand and resting the more pointy side of it against the guard's neck, pinning him to the wall helplessly.

"This is an emergency. I must speak with the great wizard," Brianna's voice was suddenly cold. "And don't you ever, call me 'dear' again. Do you understand?"

The guard gulped, surprised by Brianna's sudden actions and harshness. "Y—Yes, Brianna."

"And if you ever decide to do something like that again...

...I'll be talking directly to the King."

———

With the guard finally out of her way, Brianna walked along the dark hallway to the great wizard's den. She poked her head in through the door and saw the wizard's back to her as he was organizing his spell books and didn't notice Brianna's presence.

"Sir.."

"Why hello there, Brianna," the great wizard greeted without even looking back; he knew it was Brianna just from her voice. "How may I help you at the moment?"

Brianna took a deep breath, thinking of how to word this. "Sir, I need one of your potions."

"What kind?"

"Healing," Brianna paused for a moment. "Healing for corrupted magic." She stated with a slightly shaky voice.

That was the moment the wizard turned around. He nodded his head once very slowly, grabbing a potion off one of his shelves. The colour of the potion was a light teal with lots of white sparkles floating around.

"Why do you need it?" He asked, handing the potion to Brianna.

Brianna grabbed the potion with a hand that was just as shaky as her voice. "I don't think you've heard...Mel?"

"Mel...hm?" The great wizard hummed. "I haven't heard any news, what about her?"

"She had gotten her way into a part of the human world and practically attacked a junior high school..." Brianna took a deep breath, looking away from the great wizard slightly as she clutched the potion. "The lost princess had revealed herself and caught Mel, but Mel must have done something that corrupted our princess' magic once the spell was lifted..." Brianna explained quickly.

The wizard was taken aback a little. "The lost princess? As in...Lauren? Princess Lauren?"

Brianna nodded in response, unable to think of anything to say.

"Then I'm coming with you. No 'if's, 'and's, or 'but's. Got it?"

—————

The only people left in the school field were the school's principal, Chief Adam, Bella, and the unconscious Lauren. The field was mostly silent except for the blowing wind, and the hushed whispers of Bella trying to wake Lauren up (with no success, unfortunately).

"Wake up..."
"We need you..."
"I need you..."

"Bella please," Adam spoke softly. "We just have to wait for Brianna to get back."

"I know..." Bella whimpered, wincing as she saw the grayness spread through Lauren slowly.

"Goodness gracious! It's worse than I thought!"

Adam, Bella, and the principal all looked over to see Brianna and the great wizard.

"Greetings..." Adam said sombrely.

The great wizard took a deep breath, taking the potion from Brianna's hands. "There's a problem. In order for the potion to work, Lauren must be conscious and fully aware that we are giving her the potion," The great wizard explained carefully.

Bella sighed when she heard what the great wizard said, tapping Lauren's cheek slightly roughly. "C'mon girl...wake up!"

As if by a miracle, Lauren stirred. Her eyes fluttered open slightly, instantly recognizing her best friend even in her blurry gaze. "B—Bella? W—What happened...?" She asked, her voice sounding weak.

Bella managed to smile slightly. "I would tell you now, but do you think you could sit up?"

Lauren shifted onto her side, onto her left elbow. "P—Possibly...?" She pushed herself up with her elbow, Bella's hands under her arms and helping her up. She sat up in Bella's lap, holding a hand to her head as she breathed heavily.

"Princess Lauren, hello," The great wizard crouched down in front of Lauren, the potion in his hand; his hand wrapped around the neck of the potion bottle.

"H—Hello there.." Lauren greeted slowly, her gaze clearing slightly. "W—What happened to me?"

The wizard smiled a little as he heard Lauren try to remain strong. "To put it simply, Mel's magic corrupted yours, but there's a solution to that," he held the bottle out to Lauren, gently taking the cap off. "Drink this and it should help."

Lauren nodded, and, with the help of Bella, she managed to drink the potion.

But that seemed to have used all her energy...

She leaned back against Bella, falling unconscious again. Her crown regaining some of its sparkles, and the gray disappeared from a bit of her wings.

The great wizard sighed, taking the empty potion bottle from Lauren's limp hand. "That did less than I thought it would..."

The principal, who had stayed quiet this whole time, finally spoke up. "Is there nothing else that can be done?"

The wizard looked at him slightly, thinking for a few heartbeats. "Well..." he stood up and turned to Brianna. "Her mother has healing magic, no?"

Brianna nodded. "She has strong healing magic...why?"

"That's it!" The wizard exclaimed. "Brianna, go get Queen Isabella! I'm sure she'll be able to help, I mean seriously, this is her own daughter!"

Brianna nodded, a determined look on her face. "I'm on it! I'll be right back! Keep an eye on her!"

"Yes, please be quick," Adam added.

Brianna nodded again, quickly teleporting off to Magicant.

Only...she'd take longer than everyone would think...

———————————————————————

Oh. My. God.
Almost 900 words!
This is my longest chapter!

So far.

Makes me happy.

Update: Around 1000 words now.

|Miss Shaybug|