Episode 2: Welcome Week

Start from the beginning

"Wait--" Skyler didn't finish as Akira had already opened the door.

"Morning," one of the girls greeted, flashing a brilliant white smile, her dark hair cut super short and her outfit screaming why is everything so cold in the north, "My name is Kassie and this is Panda. We're from the house just down the street."

"Hello," Akira greeted with a polite smile, nodding his head out of habit, "I am Akira."

"Skyler," Skyler mumbled from further back in the house, sticking to the archway between the foyer and the living room. It wasn't that he didn't like people; he just didn't do so well with them. Especially considering most of them decided they didn't like him right off the bat, if for nothing more than the fact that he didn't look the way he was supposed to, according to societal bullshit.

"It's nice to meet you," Panda said, tugging her hat further down over her sisterlocks, "Sorry for showing up like this all of a sudden. It's kinda weird, isn't it?"

"It's not weird," Kassie said, elbowing her friend in the ribs and making her roll her eyes, "Anyway, we just wanted to invite you guys to this block party we're having." She held a pamphlet out to Akira, who took it and cocked his head as he studied it. Skyler frowned, moving forward to peer over Akira's shoulder at the pamphlet, folding his arms tight over his chest.

"It's not what you're thinking," Panda added quickly, noticing Skyler's suspicious expression, "Uh, we're kinda new. I mean, we're freshmen."

"Same," Skyler responded.

"Oh, nice," Kassie exclaimed, "I'm a sophomore. But most of my housemates are freshmen, and I figured it would be a great way to introduce the freshmen to other people on campus. I know it's really rough starting out, so I figured a block party would be a neat way for us to meet at least our neighbors, ya know?"

"It's not like one of those drunken college parties from the movies either, I promise," Panda assured, then looked at Kassie, who gave her a droll look before turning to Akira and Skyler.

"Not that cliche, but it'll be fun. We'll have drinks, but we're hoping everyone can bring like something to snack on, like chips or something. It's Friday night at five. We're inviting some of the people from the sororities and the fraternities too, so they'll be bringing stuff, like basketballs and stuff so there's things to do. Music, conversation, you know, that kinda thing."

"That sounds fun," Akira said immediately, his eyes wide and bright. This was it, he thought eagerly, looking down at the pamphlet as Skyler thanked the girls for stopping by. He'd been waiting for something like this. He'd never gone to a party before. Unless you counted award ceremonies, but there was never drinking or games or music at those kinds of things. Not good music anyway.

"Wasn't expecting that," Skyler muttered as he glanced out the window, watching the girls walk down the sidewalk to the next house, his eyes swinging back over to see Akira staring at the pamphlet, "What? You wanna go?" Akira blinked, then looked up to see Skyler's hesitant stare.

"Will you not?" He asked. Skyler shrugged.

"I don't know. Parties aren't my thing."

"Oh. I've never been to a party," Akira admitted. Skyler stared at him, then averted his eyes. He didn't really want to go to any parties. Even worse, the thought of frat boys mistaking him for a chick before shitting all over him for the rest of the night when they found out.

But then again, could you imagine the looks on their faces, Skyler thought with the wicked curl of his lips. Despite the frustration that came with his appearance, there was still a bit of fun to be had watching guys stumble over themselves when they found out that he was a guy. Even more amusing when the guy seemed to wander off as he contemplated his existence... and sexuality.