13

Chapter 13: At Last

Taehyung is apprehensive when he gets to Jungkook's apartment. He sent him a text at 2 a.m telling him he was heading back to his penthouse. Taehyung had been laying on his bed, too shaken up to sleep, too awake and fidgety. Jungkook buzzed him in as soon as he got to the building, and now here he is, standing in front of the door, frozen. He should knock. He should let Jungkook know the elevator didn't swallow him up. And yet, he's so nervous and scared and god, why did he give him a peck on the lips when he knew he'd be seeing him hours later? It was bold and stupid and now he has to face the consequences; Jungkook rejecting him yet again.

Maybe he could turn around and leave? It's not like anyone would stop him or get on his way...No. He wants this, has been waiting for the truth for so long, fuck it. Anxiety is a familiar friend anyway.

He knocks. Once, twice.

Seconds go by. One, two, three, four, five, maybe he shouldn't be counting, six, se---

The door bursts open to reveal Jungkook wearing a black shirt and dark jeans, hair parted to expose his forehead and doe eyes. He looks stunning, lips so kissable as they part to say, "Come in."

He does come in, a nervous mess, but he does. He steps inside the familiar apartment, hoping for his boss not to be inside as his eyes roam around searching for a pair of shoes or some papers on the table. The one time he came into the apartment and saw his boss already there he had been doing paperwork. Jungkook had told him that was most of what he did in his spare time. He remembers how bad he had felt for him then; it couldn't be any easy to have all the weight of the company upon his shoulders when Jungkook didn't do anything and his father was merely a figure.

"Namjoon went out with Seokjin," the younger explains then, as if reading his own thoughts. He nods in response, awkward as he swallows pure air. "Um, sit," he offers, and Tae nods again before obliging. The sofa is soft and comfortable as usual. It's also the one they have fucked in countless of times before. But those are just details.

He needs to break the silence before it gains life and clings to him like a second skin. He sighs before he manages to ask, "So, how was the party?"

Jungkook shrugs, "It wasn't really a party."

Taehyung would scream if he thought it'd get him anywhere. He wishes for the other to elaborate as he nods, since it seems to be the only proper gesture he can manage. He thinks that if he moves too much he may end up doing things he'll regret. "Yugyeom's birthday, right?" he questions after a bit, eyes lowering to his own hands, folded on his lap.

"Yeah, it was his."

He doesn't say it with any special feeling or emotion whatsoever, but Taehyung is too convinced with the idea of there being something between those two that he doesn't care about details. He clicks his tongue against the roof of his mouth before glancing Jungkook's way, the younger standing next to the sofa, not sitting down like him and making everything the more awkward.

"You should've stayed with him," he says. He's being petty and he knows it.

Jungkook stares at him for a moment, confused and wary, before voicing out, "What? Why?"

"Well, you obviously care more for him---" he shrugs, and yeah he's definitely fishing for Jungkook to say quite the opposite, to contradict him and make him feel less shitty about this whole thing.

And he does.

He's shaking his head before Taehyung even gets to finish his sentence. "I don't. And I'm here, am I not?" he asks, eyebrows raised almost challengingly towards him. Tae loves the provocation in them; the way they curve on his forehead is almost artistic. .