Sacrifice to Political Expediency Ch. 6.2

Start from the beginning

"Alex is not the first to be sacrificed to political expediency," Lok whispered to Zilik.

"But-" Zilik said.

"Out." The President pointed to the door.

Zilik complied, his color changing furiously. He waited behind the double doors when the other members filed out as the meeting was dismissed.

When the Kuni and Cla exited, he hissed in Cla's tympanum, "Don't even think of harming Alex."

She whispered back, "Your kind will make excellent slaves when we conquer you. After we have slaughtered your cities, I shall spare you and have you as my personal slave to lick my feet."

Only Cla could leave Zilik speechless with anger.

***

"Alex, I want more bone films of your head, it won't hurt." Dr. Glick looked from behind the glass screen.

"Sure, Dr. Glick, but don't you have a CAT scan? It would be a lot more revealing," Alex said.

"What is a CAT scan?"

"It's like a bone film, except it takes pictures of the soft organs, such as my brain." Alex wondered that this world had primitive x-rays, yet still used carriages and horses.

An Anolis female strode into the room with the arrogance typical of her kind. "The creature is right. Examining her brain would be most useful. Why have you not explored this avenue further?"

"I beg your pardon?" Dr. Glick summoned every ounce of cold professionalism and faced the Anolis female.

"I am Dr. Kor. I will be taking over the mammal's case. You have done a poor job of the analysis, probably from too much personal involvement. I didn't expect that from an Iguana. That's more of a Chameleon's style."

"You will take over nothing. I am the authority on primates," Dr. Glick said.

"Start acting like one. I have the authority of the Council. Dak, inject the primate with dye and set the bone film machine." Dr. Kor gestured to an Anolis.

"Who are you?" Alex jerked her arm away from the Anolis with the needle.

"She is unrestrained, Kor," Dak said.

"Rectify that. Hurry with that dye, enough time has been lost already."

"Stop. You have no idea how that dye will affect her brain," Dr. Glick raised his voice in protest.

"Exactly." Alex fought off the new attendant.

"It is harmless to chitterers," Dr. Kor replied.

"I'm not a chitterer. I'm an alien. When will you get that through your thick reptile skulls?"

"This is an outrage! Fila, Dr. Zoor, report immediately," Dr. Glick shouted into the lizard phone.

"They have been dismissed. You will find yourself similarly so if you do not behave in a responsible manner."

"We'll see about this," Dr. Glick said.

"Dr. Glick? What about—" Alex cut herself off.

No need to mention Razz's name.

"Don't worry. I'll be right back with security. I will take care of everything and everyone."

Alex watched him leave with a sinking heart. In that instant of distraction, she felt cold metal around her wrists and was slammed back onto the table.

"You better hurry, Dr. G.," she said quietly as the needle probed through her skin, searching for a vein.

Oh to blast the lot of them. But not unless they try to kill me. The last thing I need is for my powers to be exposed.