Why'd We Come (To Taint This Place?)

Lillith walked back to the stables to check on Chaos. He was happily eating hay when Lillith presented him an apple. Chaos happily stamped his feet & trotted over to take the treat. Jacque walked around the corner carrying a bale of hay, "You're back! I wasn't sure when you would be. I got us some supper if you can to join me, my lady." Lillith looked at him causing Jacque to blush, "Forgive me, I'm afraid you must remind me again." He smiled slyly at her. Lillith patted Chaos's neck & turned to Jacque. "I will join you, but if you keep calling me a lady, you will have to be punished." Jacque grinned, "Very well," he said with a bow, "Tonight we have roast, potatoes, rolls, & a hearty salad. I will meet you upstairs after you sort out your business with the Master." Jacque sat down the hay on the stack & headed up the stairs to his loft, very aware of Lillith's eyes on his backside the whole way up. Lillith went in the castle to retrieve her belongings. Sanguine was waiting for her in the banquet hall as she passed.

"Ah, my dear! Dinner is ready! Come, sit & enjoy some civilized company!" Lillith stopped & turned to look at him, "Are you implying that I haven't been with civilized company?" Sanguine grinned at her. He loved to rile her up. Lillith knew he did it in hopes of it leading to sex... "I'm not suggesting anything of the sort-" "Unless you count that old hag at the forest edge," said an unpleasant familiar voice. Lillith rolled her eyes, "Better time spent with her. She smells better than your old cunt, Rosaline." A blood red haired woman walked into the banquet hall & stood beside Sanguine looking outraged. "You will not speak to me that way! Will she?!" Rosaline looked to Sanguine who put his hands up, "I'm not involved in this. You will have to deal with her on your own." Rosaline scoffed & walked right into Lillith's face, "You will apologize." "Will I?" Lillith asked laughing, "I think not. Know your place, palace whore." "I would not antagonize her," Sanguine said putting his hands on the table looking exasperated. Rosaline raised her hand to slap Lillith. Before the blow hit, Lillith grabbed her wrist & squeezed. Rosaline fell to her knees whining in pain as Lillith squeezed harder. "I don't think I am better than anyone, Rosaline, but I know I am better than you. You will not attempt to strike me again or I will remind you of your place." Lillith released her wrist as Rosaline looked up with angry tears in her eyes. "Go back to serving on your knees," Lillith said turning her attention to Sanguine, "& you. Do not ever lecture me about civilized company again," she said with a snarl.

Sanguine chuckled, "Will you stay for dessert at least?" "Go to hell," Lillith said walking upstairs to gather her things. As she was packing up her belongings, a light knock tapped on the open door. "Go away," she spoke not turning. "May I come in?" Sanguine asked already taking a step over the threshold of the doorway. "No, you may not," Lillith said turning towards him. Sanguine stopped like some invisible force was pulling him back. He sighed & pinched his brow, "I do wish you wouldn't have crushed her wrist, I was going to have her use that later." "She is good at running her mouth, perhaps you should choke her instead. Still lying to me about who you keep even when I am not involved. You never will change." Lillith slung her bag over her shoulder & pushed past Sanguine. "You will see me again once I complete this contract. You had best have the payment. I will not take an IOU!" she shouted as she walked out the door. Lillith headed straight to the barn & Jacque who was waiting. "Hey! Bout time you showed up!" he said jokingly.

"I'm sorry," Lillith said setting down her bag, "I was delayed by stupidity." Jacque smiled at her & pulled out a chair. Lillith sat down smiling. Jacque handed Lillith a fresh blood pack. She smiled at him nodding. She was in desperate need of blood. The two ate & filled the room with laughter. The stove light danced on the wood & made the loft feel like they were in a honeycomb. All the golden wood was touched with light. It felt safe.  Lillith curled up in the hammock soon after dinner. Jacque draped her in one of her furs & laid down in his bed. It was the following morning when Lillith left. Jacque said goodbye with a kiss on the cheek & Lillith rode off back home.