And I knew then that imprinting of these animals wasn't entirely as concrete as Owen had stressed for years. It was never there from birth. It was built on. That unbreakable bond. Where I had Delta and Delta had me.

We had it in us to beat this thing.

My eyes wander across the rain-slick empty street, noticing Owen's motorcycle parked just beyond the cluster of raptors next to an emergency transport van. I look across at him, who was watching me watch his bike. And he knew. He always knew.

So we nod at each other.

A sharp whistle from Owen's lips sliced through the night. All three raptors raised their claws at the Indominus, hissing and glaring. Frustrated, the giant swung its crooked talons at Blue, sending her flying into a concrete wall with a sickening thud.

She clatters to the ground in such a lifeless manor, it almost didn't feel real to be watching it. Owen could do nothing but watch it helplessly. There was another thud of concrete. Blue didn't flinch. Didn't roll her head back. Deathly still.

'Son of a bitch,' I'm whispering, and Owen can do nothing but the same, eyes widening, the fingers around his rifle going bone white with grip. Echo and Delta wail for their sister, launching themselves onto the back of the Indominus with ear splintering hisses.

There was no time to dwell, my feet picking up before I'd even come to terms with that. I was taking thudding, sprinting strides over the slick concrete, throbbing arms pumping as I raced towards the bike. A part of my heart longed to go to Blue's aid instead, but it was a chance I couldn't take, especially if there was nothing I could do. It only fuelled the anger. How nothing natural glimmered off the skin of this animal. It was the hand-held mirror of those who had made it, and I saw their faces effervescently in the scales. My Uncle. Henry Wu. Simon Masrani. Claire Dearing. I threw myself down onto the leather seat, kicking the safety stand down with force. My shaking fingertips revved up the bike, the engine spluterring to life.

'HEY!' I yell out, my voice straining against my throat, the hybrid's neck clicking into place as it turned to glare at me. It belched an infuriated roar down the road. My insides shrivel at the volume of it, but I sit tall. I let every cut, bruise and slash rumble under my skin, Owen continuing to fire shots from his rifle, not taking his eyes off the animal as bullets revert from its scales with tiny yellow explosions.

'You sure about this?!' he yells out to me, slipping behind a large chunk of amber decoration. Displaying its talons, the creature began to stomp towards me, roaring in rage.

I was unfathomably unsure of it. But it had to be done. It was another punch from within. Another dent in the wall of this place. Gritting my teeth, I slam the accelerator as I embraced this idea in full force. This absolutely ludicrous idea that would most definitely kill me if I didn't execute it carefully, the likelihood impossibly high.

But I'd come this far.

I didn't dare blink as I drove the motorcycle closer and closer to this thing, growing bigger against my tiny stature until I was nothing but a fly in comparison to it. I could feel its body heat clinging to the top of my scalp, its shadow swallowing me whole in a bout of complete darkness. Anyone who'd been this close to this animal had ended up on the other side of its skin. But I wasn't. I was whirling by.

My breath hitched in my throat as I narrowly swerved past it's heavy tail, speeding out of the other side with a gasp. Disorientating the dinosaur had worked. It let out a frustrated roar, losing its balance. The creature toppled to the side, collapsing onto concrete of the main street. The tail flung past Owen's head, shattering the displayed block of amber he was hiding behind into thousands of tiny shards, swinging further into the sky.