XI

CHAPTER ELEVENTHE MAIN STREET MALEVOLENCE

CHAPTER ELEVEN
THE MAIN STREET MALEVOLENCE

When all the gritty attitude and bad posture was torn away, Zach was an older brother, hovering closely over Gray's shoulder. Four sets of heavily breathing lungs echoed in the underground shed, the tiny solar-powered lights flickering above us.

'Ladies and Gentlemen, due to a containment anomaly, all guests must take shelter immediately.'

'What the hell is going on?' Zach asks us.

'Ladies and Gentlemen, due to a containment anomaly, all guests must take shelter immediately.'

'The dimorphodons,' I reply, looking up at the cracks in the ceiling for any dust fall or rumbling from movement above. 'They'll be headed to the resort.'

I look across to Alex, wiping down my sleeves. 'They must've called an emergency evacuation along the main street for the Indominus.'

A look of realised terror dances over his eyes. 'All the warm bodies in one place,' he says.

I nod. Gray's upper lip quivered as he listened to the repetitive announcement. 'Where do we go?' he asks.

'The control room,' I say.

I hunch myself against the cool material of my jacket against my burning shoulder blades, leading the way with shaky legs, pining for the safety and strange tranquility of the control room rather than finding Owen and Claire. I was afraid, too. Incredibly afraid of what had happened to me, and worse, what was happening above this concrete corridor filled with the sounds scuffing boots and sneakers.

But, unlike this morning, nobody was standing at the door awaiting to be shown some ID from my behalf. No blue light was seeping out from the crack underneath the door. The glass was completely blacked out.

I hurried up the steps, frantically pounding on the surface. 'No, no, no, no, no...'

The glass rattled under my palm. 'Hello!' I call. 'Somebody!'