V

CHAPTER FIVETHE ARENA

CHAPTER FIVE
THE ARENA

'Are you sure they're okay this time?' Alex croaks.

'They're always extremely hot-tempered animals,' I assured him. 'You just gotta be lucky to catch them on a good day.'

Yesterday, I'd still tried introducing Alex to the raptors against Owen's advice, and it hadn't gone well. I'd done my best to stay optimistic, but all of them were fiercely riled up from their encounter with the intern falling into the pit, especially Blue. It had been stupid in hindsight, really. I of all people knew that disrespect for nature resulted in a cascade of bad outcomes. The anger from my conversation with my Uncle had clouded my judgement of that.

We'd arrived at the compound extra early so I could properly introduce Delta to Alex without anyone else around. I hadn't slept well. I'd tossed and turned all throughout the night, with the strangest sense that I couldn't fall asleep until I went through with making sure Alex was introduced properly.

I wouldn't be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, even more so now that we were actually here, hours before anyone else would be. I'd never introduced Delta without a cage or muzzle to anyone but Owen, and he was imprinted to her. I'd kept fidgeting with my wrists and fingers all morning.

'Look,' he says, stopping short. There was a silent plea behind his eyes, curls blowing in the early humid winds. 'If they get angry again or anything just, I don't wanna make them feel threatened so, we don't have to do this. It's not fair to them. They'll understand in my report.'

'They're fine, Alex. I promise,' I say. 'You're only meeting my raptor anyway.'

He raised his eyebrows. 'And has she met anyone else before?'

I internally grimace. 'Lots of people,' I lie.

A faint peach light began to illuminate the arena as I quietly opened the gate so not to disturb them. 'We keep them in separate pens to sleep now that they're fully grown, but most of the time they're together unless Delta is training with me or Owen is one on one with Blue,' I whisper as I walk, careful of big gestures with my hands.