II

CHAPTER TWOHELL IN HIGH HEELS

CHAPTER TWO
HELL IN HIGH HEELS

'Rise and shine!'

'Fuck off Owen.'

I ran a palm over dry, sleep sodden eyes, lazily beginning to take over Owen's job of rolling up each blueprint full of our training routines. Shards of dawn were easing its way across the island, spilling onto the floors of the mapping room in little golden pools and we quietly shuffled paper posters together.

'When you specify inspection,' I grumble, ramming a blue print into a draw underneath the mapping table. 'You usually tell people the time before hand. Not blast their telephone line with calls at five o'clock in the morning.'

'I know,' he says. 'I didn't find out until late last night.'

'I thought you said they'd be out of our way.'

'You know Masrani, Laura,' he says. 'He's not far off Vic. He always gets funny about these animals around people who have anything to do with funding this place. Scared of all the legal stuff if something happened to em'.'

'But why? Barely anyone knows, or even cares that they come out here,' I say, tying an elastic band around a blueprint. 'Nothings changed there.'

'Ingen cares.'

'I couldn't really give a shit about what Ingen cares for.'

'Can you just please go with it, Laura?' he pleads flatly. His finely trimmed moustache twitches in the way it always does when he's visibly annoyed for all to see, a deep frown furrowing across his brow; peppered with drops of humidity. 'It's bad enough that I've still got your Uncle on my case whilst he's visiting with this bunch.'

I roll up another print. 'Another opinion I also don't a give shit about.'

'Laura.'

'No, it's ridiculous,' I say erratically. 'They're never here for any of the training or caretaking or planning. They come when it suits them, and what's more, they hear what suits them. He only be hears what he wants to hear. He has ever since they were born.'