Ch:3 Meeting the team of East Lake

Nora Timberlake

I reached the soccer field barely in time, my second practice and I am already late. There's got to be an award for this.

I pushed my hands deep in my shorts pocket, I wish I could have brought my hoodie, they are nowhere as comfortable as leather jackets for me, but against this biting cold? I will take what I get.

But nope. Sports gear or nothing, as the coach says, like they won't put me in jail for wearing nothing.

I signed softly as I dropped my bag in locker room and tied up the laces of my studs. I was already in gear so all I needed to do is replace my shoes.

Stuffing my old faded red running sports shoes in my bag, I ran across the field, where the rest of the team was warming up. I panted as I reached them, my stamina was quiet low due to the negligible cardiac training I received during middle school. I am able to run twenty to thirty minutes, but the whole soccer game? Spare me, I just can't. 

"Hey!" Daniel greeted me. He was one of the two defenders and a nice guy. I met him from the last time I was at the practice and remembered him because of his annoying yet at the same time uniquely bright studs. They were bright pink with yellow polka dots on them.

I nodded, "Hey, I hope I am not too late."

He smiled, "No, we were just starting. Lyla is being a pain in ass cause she hates the new training plan."

I nodded again and didn't replied. He turned towards the ball that was in front of him. I turned my focus towards another free football, no one was using. Juggling the ball with my knees, I looked around the lush and damp field. Football helps me think, it was a constant through all the highs and lows of my life. The first thing I did after joining East Lake was to look at its soccer team.

It was a coed team, which was both surprising and amazing at the same time. I don't exactly remembered the names of all these guys, but I am learning. For example, I could tell the captain's name is Lillian. And Daniel is one of the few people who talked to me personally. Lyla is a defender along with him and had already got a scholarship in sports in some famous university or some shit.

There were only two forwards, one of them was me and the other one was this brownish black haired guy with a really impressive ball control.

"Hey, forward. Wanna pass the ball?" A girl with dark red hair said to me. I looked towards her with narrowed eyes, trying to figure out her name.

Lenny? Sila? Juli? What the heck was it?

She rolled her eyes, "Name's Ash. Stop overthinkin' Nora."

"Sorry, Ash. Just trying to speak in front of your blinding beauty." I shrugged. It wasn't a lie, I am comfortable enough with my sexuality that I could admit what is the truth.

Ash blinked, "Flattery will get you nowhere."

I smirked slightly, I think it did, honey.

"Hey!" A voice called out and I turned to look at the brownish black haired forward, his eyes studying me as I tried to remember his name.

"Hey?" I questioned, raising my eyebrow.

"It's Julian. Remember my pretty face? Do you have a forgetting problem or something?" He asked, looking at me peculiarly.

You have no idea. I retained myself from rolling my eyes.

"Don't take it to your crummy little heart. She ain't gifted in memories." Ash remarked, brushing him off.

Julian passed an unimpressed glance at her direction as I snorted.
"You all have to remember one name, Nora. While I, on the other hand, have to remember hundred freaking names because I am new. Should I tattoo it across my forehead, just so that you can remember the fact?"

Julian raised his hands, "Okay, geez. We get it. Sorry. Now, do you want to hear the formation of our team? I will help you with names. Or Lillian could, he knows everyone best."

"Lillian is the captain, right? Lillian and Julian, rhyming names and all that, are you guys related?" I asked, joking slightly

"Yes, we're twins, through we look nothing alike. He is the captain, yes." He said, stretching his shoulders. I was a little shocked, like what? That was weirdly psych of me to guess that.

"Cool." I said, not knowing what to say next. How the heck do people converse?

He laughed and said, "Want to go over everyone's names?"

"Yeah, okay." I said, flicking the ball upwards and catching it in my hands.

_______________

The practice at the end was exhausting, the coach was just ruthless. After a few minutes of chatting with the girls on the team at shower room, I headed out, my hair still in a tight pony. 

Tugging my jacket closer against the bone chilling winds, I started to jog lightly in the direction of my home. I knew it was good call to stuff it into my bag, coach was trying to kill us or something?

"Oi Nora!" A guy, whose name was Silver shouted after me.

I paused, waiting for him to catch up. The guy with silver eyes, that matches his name perfectly, stood in front of me. He was an inch or two taller than me, as I stood at a proud 5'7. His skin was a light cream color that contrasts with his black hair which was slicked back.

"So I and a few of my friends were going to this wild party a few blocks away, you want to come?" He asked, with a charming smile on his face.

"No, my dad hates when I am out for too long." I stated, staring blankly at him.

"Daddy's little girl, aren't you?" He laughed, brushing his hair out of his eyes.

I shook my head, silently saying him to drop it, this guy irked me. He was one of the players who don't do their jobs properly. He never puts his mind in the game. I know that sounds bad coming from me as I also didn't put in my hundred percent in the game, but at least I try to. This guy just seems to be on team for no reason what so ever.

But Nora you know him for like a day or two. How come you judge him so easily not to mention carelessly? Bitch please, if he is not the 'playboy/wannabe-badboy/THEdumb-Jock' then his actions should speak louder than his words. He did not asked me any fucking thing about myself and still inviting me to a party. And there is no get-to-know-the-new-teammate bullshit either, cause then he would have invited me at the field along with other people on team. 

Something tells me he want me and me alone accompany him to the so-called wild party.

"Yeah, I gotta go. Later, River." I said turning towards the gate.

"Please call me Silver. I would like it." He said, passing me another one of his charming smiles. I remembered his name from the list that nerdy kid gave me. He is James' Ex boyfriend.

Huh, why the name of the universe James dated this guy? Clearly not for his ability to take hints.

"I rather not." I passed him a closed lipped smirk and walked away.

After a second I heard him mutter, "Bitch."so low that was almost inaudible 

I smiled, at least he got that one right. 

Tugging the leather jacket closer, I walked home in silence, watching my surroundings. 

A warmth seeped through me as soon as I entered my home.

"How was the practice?" Dad asked as soon as I plopped down on the couch.

"Interesting. Turns out, I don't have to work hard to make some people hate me." I said, placing a hand on my head.

He hummed in response, "At least you have to work hard to make some people like you."

"Yeah, I will work it out, eventually."

A/N: Hope you enjoyed!