Chapter 2

"Luke."

 "Luke, wake up."

 "LUKE!"

"Ah fuck!" Luke shouts before falling out of his chair. He must have fallen asleep while he was watching Percy last night. But the kid had never shouted before, something must be wrong. Still blind with sleep, he slipped the small blade from the sheath on his belt. "What is it? What's wrong Percy?" 

"Oh no! I'm so sorry, I just wanted to know where I could go to get breakfast." The boy was sitting upright in his bed, hands up like he was at gunpoint.

This brings up a laugh in Luke. The sight of Percy was certainly amusing, but Luke was more pleased with the fact that the boy was alert and talking. Luke had been afraid that he would relapse back into his previous state despite the progress of the night before. "It's alright, you're alright, no need to apologize." The assurance seemed to ease the younger boy. "But Percy, word for the wise, you live in a world full of monsters now, you probably shouldn't shout at sleeping people."

"In a world with monsters and stuff, you probably should be a lighter sleeper," the younger boy shoots back, a smirk flashing across his face before quickly vanishing. Luke wished the good mood would stick around, but he wasn't going to hold it against the boy; one late-night conversation wouldn't be enough to mend Percy's wound.

"Touché. You said you wanted breakfast?"

"Yeah, skipping all of those meals has caught up with me," the boy offered with a smile, "I'm starving, but I'm guessing there's no deli at this camp where I can buy a bagel."

"Well, let me get my shoes on and I'll take you to see Chiron, then we can go get breakfast. Help me up?" He says, reaching up with a hand. Percy grabs it and pulls the taller boy to his feet. "Thanks."

"Sorry again for making you fall out of the chair."

"It's fine Percy," Luke chuckles.

~

Watching Percy's reaction when discovering his old teacher, "Mr. Bruner," was actually an ancient centaur was probably the funniest thing Luke had ever seen. He had to admit, even after all this time, watching Chiron pull his lower half from the magical wheelchair was mind boggling. The kid was ecstatic with his hundreds of questions; how Chiron fit in the chair probably made up half of them. Chiron had thousands of years of experience dealing with exuberant demigods--he'd mentored Achilles and Patroclus when they were young boys, and the gods know that must have been an ordeal--but somehow Percy's excitement seemed to strain the old centaur. Yet, Luke was also happy that Percy was distracted from his grief, but it would be back later he thought sadly.

He knew that Chiron had to talk to Percy alone -every camper needed to take it all in by themselves- but he wished he had been invited. It's terrifying to learn that the monsters and myths you had heard of in stories and movies were real, but it was also an eye-opening experience. To learn about your parents, why trouble seems to follow, why you never truly fit in anywhere, it makes everything click into place. Perhaps, these puzzle pieces coming together doesn't create the most beautiful picture, but it is still one every demigod needs to see and is better off for it. He wanted to learn who Percy was when there wasn't death hanging over his head, when he learns that he is meant for something more; maybe not necessarily better, but still something more. Luckily, he gets to meet up with him later and show him to cabin 11; hopefully he'll still be on his mythological high, because he really wanted a chance to know the real Percy.

He walked off to start his training, unaware of the smile playing on his lips.