I gave another shrug. “You’re first aren’t you?” I asked quietly.

She nodded her head wildly. “Yup! First to get this over with, and finally have my wings!” She let out a girly squeal. I gave a small smile for my response. 

“Lucky,” Adam huffed. “Three trials. Three freaking trials! Do you think that’s right to have us go though--”

“Will you let it go?” Ethan cut him off. “Yes. Three trials. Quit whining because it isn’t going to change anytime soon.” You could tell Ethan was getting irritated at Adams complaining by the tone of his voice. He pulled his decently long hair into a small pony tail in the back, leaving a few straggly pieces. I then realized I should do the same. 

I copied his actions while the Head of the Academy started the ceremony.

After about 20 of trials I lost complete interest on watching other fairies techniques because they weren’t any different from what we were taught. Martha was one of the first handful to do it. She went up there and defended herself as one of the Ice Fairies had to battle her in her trial. She turned every one of his ice darts into fog until she was able to beat him around with the collected fog. My technique was different. I took the fog and used it to make my opponent confused. I had the fog surround him and he ran around endlessly, until he admitted defeat.

At the end of Martha’s trial, she was given her wings. They have you drink a potion that gives you your wings. It isn’t like you never had your wings before, they’re just underneath of the a layer of skin, transparent until you drink the potion. Then they come out. Martha was so emotional that she started to cry. She immediately came up to us and flashed her wings around. 

Martha had promised to stay during the whole thing, but after about 100 students went though their trial, she gave up and left. I couldn’t blame her. She finally got her wings. If I were her, I’d be inching to get outside and fly around like an idiot.

There was about 260 trials. It just so happened that I was the last fairy to do the Ice trial. The stadium was empty, except for a handful of students, and Ethan, who did his last trial before me. 

“Lyra Pond, versus a Ice Fairy for her Ice Trial.” He said as I made my way down the stairs. 

I went down to the center of the stadium. I faced the stranger. He was much taller than me, probably in his twenties. He held out a hand and I instinctively shook it in respect. I smiled at him. 

“Good luck.” He said returning the smile. 

I gave a nod before turning on my heal to head the opposite direction. I turned around and put one foot behind me, the other in front. I bent my knees and raised my arms so one was in front, and the other is at my side. My fighting stance. The Ice Fairy mimicked my stance and got ready. My body tensed as I waited for the whistle to blow.

A high pitch squeal rang though my ears signalling the trial to begin.

I let the stranger make the first move. He raised one hand which raised 5 ice crystals. He pulled his hand back and forward in one quick motion. He launched the ice crystals at a fast speed towards me. 

In academy lessons, we were told the further away you are from your manipulated object, the less control you have of it. I used that knowledge to my advantage.

I took a deep breath and waited until it reached about 10 meters away from me. I then raised both hands in front of me and then clenched them into fists and pushed them to my shoulders. I then relaxed and copied his previous motion, sending the ice crystals back towards him. 

He landed on his back and dodged the crystals. He kicked his feet back into the air and leaped back into the air, standing straight up. He instantly started to raise ice crystals and launched them at me like snow balls in a snowball war. 

I dodged one by ducking. Then I had to do a kick flip to avoid the rest. To put a stop the reparative launches, by sending my own.

He did easy dodges to all of them and got away without a scratch. He then raised both hands raising 10 ice crystals. I did the same. He launched them into the space between us. I, once again, did the same. I aimed them all to hit his dead on. 

Smash--Smash--Smash--Smash--Smash--Smash--Smash…

I was surprised. Three made it free. I now had little time to react.

They were all coming at a rushing speed. I felt myself start to get anxious. I had no time to even think. I then let out a loud scream.

The scream was something I never expected. Instead of a sound that made most people cringed, I let out a fiery roar. Literally. I let out fire.