Chapter 3

Traveling to surrounding areas was something Gabriel found he despised. Being trapped to his land had almost been a blessing. Now there were surrounding packs, the need for his beast to assert its dominance. They had absorbed three packs in the first month, five the following, and now, despite it all, Gabriel led thousands across the state of California.

The rage and pain inside him had fueled his beast. Made him lose the part of man he thought he was. It intimidated, and dominated, and he had no reason to control it. His beast felt rage more than sorrow, felt power more than pain. It was easier to let it control.

But these car rides were tiresome, the roar of the engine something Gabriel had to be forced to get used to. His hands clenched and unclenched as Odin drove. With new packs came new money and this new car reeked of something unused. Sleek and black, tinted windows, he felt completely out of his element. His beast craved to run, to strip free and wild.

"Gotta stop for gas." Odin announced, not a moment before turning too sharp into one of the only gas stations in their small town. Gabriel cast him nothing more than a glance before stepping out of the car with him after parking at the gas pump. "You can stay in the car, I'll be five minutes—"

A slicing gaze cut him off. With a roll of his eyes, Odin turned away. Gabriel was his Alpha and his best friend, but he was spiraling. His blood lust had skyrocketed since the death of his mate, Odin's queen, and he seemed insatiable. The treaty they just signed was for progress yet Gabriel insisted on invading the neighboring pack when their Alpha refused to sign the treaty. Three of their pack members had died, mates crying into the night yet Gabriel had just marched back to the compound covered in blood, eyes burning with his beast.

Odin's steps faltered as he approached the store, nearly tripping. The smell of—of water? That didn't seem right yet when he paused to inhale deeply he only though of running rivers, waterfalls plummeting, oceans turning. It smelled like live water.

He took another step, and the beast within him turned. Another step, and his eyes flashed with the animal within. Something dramatic bloomed in his chest, sensations new and unfelt coursing through his veins. Excitement, more than anything danced within him yet he couldn't place the cause other than the smell of water.

All but tearing the door from its hinges Odin entered the store. He didn't realize he was panting until it was all he heard in his empty surroundings. His skin felt too hot, head felt too light. Rain drops and foaming tides met his nostrils. His shoulders tensed and shook. The store was empty besides a store clerk behind the register. He approached the clerk, inhaling, and the tiny blonde behind the counter stared at him with wide unblinking eyes.

No, not her. But close.

"Is there anyone else in this store?" he demanded. His voice turned, sounded hardly like himself. He craned his neck to fight back his beast. His nails turned to claws and he shoved them in his pockets to protect himself.

She shook her head, dumbly. "N-no. Just me."

He leaned in closer. "Who else is here." The growl coming from his lungs vibrated through his whole body. He saw terror filter into her young eyes yet not a single part of him cared.

A trembling finger pointed towards the side entrance. "Someone's smoking a cigarette out there."

He waited for nothing else and stormed through the small enclosure. The door nearly broke in his grasp as he flung it open. The smell struck him in the chest, knocking the breath from him but the sound of a deeply aggravated voice stopped him in his tracks.

"They didn't have spaghetti-o's. You tell Teddy! I don't know what you want from me Jane, I went to three stores. The brat can eat Doritos for all I care. No—no! I didn't mean to call him a brat I was kidding—seriously? Seriously. Calm the fuck down. You have your first shift in three hours. Take a nap."

Odin turned slowly to the man standing ten feet away from the entrance. The cigarette in his mouth was the most unattractive thing he'd ever seen but the man—

Tall. Strong. Shoulders wide. Jet black hair atop his head was disheveled and sexy—sexy? Oh yea, definitely. The man paced, sucking down the tar and spitting it back out. It masked that voluptuous scent, made his beast angry. He turned, midsentence, and noticed Odin standing taller before him. Struck dumb, he could only stare.

"J-Jane." He managed to choke out. He cleared his throat, turning away. Was that a blush atop his cheeks Odin noticed? He could hear the blood pumping in veins, a quickening of his heart rate. He took a step closer before the stranger could notice. "Jane I've gotta go. Yea, I'll be back in twenty."

He heard the call end, then his stranger turning back around. "Can I help you?" he asked, taking another drag.

"Put that out." Odin didn't mean to demand, but he did, and in an instant the cigarette was on the ground, crushed beneath the stranger's boot. Who looked down, confused by his sudden obedience, then back up at Odin.

"Wait, hey—"

Odin stepped closer, and with wide eyes his stranger stood before him, so sweet, so perfect. Odin's chest inflated with the feeling of the world entering him. His beast stretched, cracked its knuckles, and waited to take what was his.

"What is your name." He demanded of the human. His human. His soul. He could feel it now, feel how soft his skin would be, how sweet his smell would be wrapped around him always.

The human opened his mouth, then closed it. He could see how strong he was in his stance, his wide shoulders, the way he had held his head high before Odin arrived. Now, he seemed at a loss of words or direction and the beast seethed with pleasure. "Justin." He managed to say quietly.

"Justin." He growled low, loving the taste of his name on his tongue. He stepped closer. "I'm Odin."

The ma before him stared up at him, several inches taller. His eyes seemed glazed and he stepped closer as well. "Odin." He said, trying the name. The hairs on his neck stood on end, immediately and irrevocably in love with the sound of his name on his lips. The beast craned its neck, begging to be let free, to mark, to protect, to mate.

Mate.

The title was perfect, beautiful. His mate.

A growl rose in his chest and he prepared to take what was his, protect what belonged to him, when a hand slapped against his chest and halted his movements. The snarl was in his throat when he turned, but died when he saw Gabriel.

"Back down." He said instantly, and Odin was helpless to reel the beast back in despite his nature. This was his Alpha, and he had no control. His grey blue eyes flickered to his mate. "Justin, pleasure to meet you." He held out a hand, and Justin took it, dazed, eyes on Odin. He managed to clear his throat and shake his head, releasing himself from his trance.

"Great, great to meet you guys. I've got to go, thanks for the warm welcome—" his eyes met Odin's. "—but I'm leaving and if you could work on not being so creepy with introductions that'd be great. See you guys around."

He turned and walked away, glancing back once more before nearly running to his car. When Odin made to chase, his beast screaming to catch his mate, Gabriel growled low in his chest, stopping all movement.

"Gabe." He snarled, staring up at his alpha. "He's—"

"I know what he is to you." He snapped back, his beast and his fury rolling in his eyes. "But we don't do it that way anymore."

Gabriel's voice dropped, dripped with an intense sadness, before erasing any trace of it in his voice or soul.

Odin was forced to watch the SUV peel away from the parking lot, the scent of his mate leaving with it. He had to twist his neck, chasing away the strain of his beast within him. "Run home." Gabriel demanded. "I'll drive back."

Without any other command Odin sprinted towardsthe woods surrounding the gas station, phasing before the forest had fullyencompassed him. Clothes tore and wereleft in rags behind but there was no care in the world. He was running in the opposite direction ofhis mate, his beautiful everything, and nothing had ever felt so wrong to him.