Chapter 17: Lucky Nugget

I knocked twice on Sam's door, I waited a few seconds until Sam opened the door. I was holding an open box of chicken nuggets, and on the lid was written in sharpie "I'd be one lucky nugget if you'd go to prom with me"

He grinned, then it faded and he looked down and back at his sister standing behind him, "Hailey... I can't, I don't have the money."

"Yes, you can. We're doing prom on a budget. Under 100 bucks for both of us, and I'll help, I've been saving up."

"Well then of course!" He picked up two nuggs, put one in my mouth and the other in his. I giggled as I chewed it.

-Time Skip to Saturday-

I texted Kurt, excited.

Me: Kurt! You have to help me pick out my prom dress!

Kurt: Okay! When??

Me: ASAP

Kurt: Pick me up now? I'm not doing anything

Me: Give me 15 minutes. I'll be on my way

Kurt: OK

I threw on a sweater and pulled my hair into a messy bun. Checking in the mirror, I dabbed on some concealer and mascara. Gently pulling out my baby hairs, I walked out the door.

I arrived at Kurt's house and beeped the horn twice on my black Jeep Wrangler. Quickly Kurt opened the door and strutted to my car, hopping in the passenger seat.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Ready."

I pulled out of his driveway and into a little shop that I knew was super cheap. Kurt gave me the look.

"What the hell are we doing here?"

"Budget prom. Let's go." I got out of the car.

Hesitantly he followed, walking in, we saw only a small section with dresses in it. Getting closer I noticed that most weren't even fancy. Taking in a breath I worried this might be a bust. Still, I browsed through them. I found so many ugly things, things I'd never in my life consider wearing, but I found a few things that were worth a try on.

I headed to the dressing room, while Kurt sat outside. I looked the first dress up and down, it was dark blue, almost navy, it had a high neck with a flowy chiffon skirt. The back was open, with an exposed zipper up the side. Pulling it on, I zipped it up and did a twirl. I opened the door and saw Kurt smiling at his phone.

"Hey," I said laughing, "Blaine can wait."

He looked up and made a face, then got up to see the dress closer, "I'm not sure... try on the next one."

I sighed and went back in to put on the next one, the next dress was, purple with a reddish pink color underneath, and was shorter in the front than the back. It had a deep plunge neckline and was much more structured than the last. Pulling it on, I stepped out. 

Kurt stood up, like with the last one, "I like this one, the color is good." I nodded and turned to try on the last dress.

The last one was dark green, with sequins in all the right places, it was a bodycon dress with tight long sleeves. I pulled it on, posing in the mirror, the opening the door. 

Kurt didn't stand up this time, but he shook his head, "The purple one," He said.

"Alrighty then," I said turning around to put my regular clothes back on.

-Time Skip to Prom-

Sam knocked on my door, and I came running down the stairs as quickly as I could in my heels, he stood a the bottom with his arms out wide. I lept into them as he spun me around.

He set me down, "You look stunning," He said with a smile, kissing me on the cheek. '

"And you're adorable," I replied, He had on an all-black tux, except for a pocket square with matched the red in my dress.

Sam walked me down the sidewalk. Holding my hand he helped me into the car. He got into the other side and off we were. About 20 minutes later we were pulling into the parking lot.

Walking up, we saw Kurt and Blaine talking and holding hands as they waited for us. Kurt hugged me, then Sam. Together, we walked in, there were lights strung from the ceiling, which lit up the dark room. Music was already playing, but we headed over to the punch bowl, where Sue was standing guard. Innocently, Sam poured punch for me as Sue glared at us. We walked away confused but shook it off. We started to sway to the music as we sipped our punch. Once we finished, that's when the party started.

We danced like no one else was watching, just being ourselves, then a slow song came on. Sam wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me close, I wrapped my arms, loosely around his neck, leaning my head on his chest, we swayed to the music. Now, instead of it feeling like nobody was watching, it was as if they all had disappeared, It was just us. I looked up at Sam, his face faintly lit up by the lights over our head. I smiled and he looked down at me.

"What?" He asked

"I'm just... so happy."

"I'm glad, babygirl."

I blushed, "I like it when you call me that."

"You do?" He said in a sarcastic tone, leaning down to kiss me. I smiled through our kiss, as he held me tighter.

Slowly he pulled away, pressing his forehead against mine, "I'm one lucky nugget."

Hey guys, so I finally updated. I am so sorry it's been so long. I've been in a really bad place, but I'm here now and hopefully, I'll be able to update more regularly. 

As always, your critiques, advice, ideas or requests are always greatly appreciated. I love you guys.

-Warmhugs28