Chapter 8: You'll be Happier There

"How'd it go?" Kurt asked, coming up to me at my locker.

A huge smile wiped across my face, I was so giddy after what just happened. I shoved the stuff I was holding into my locker, then I spun for effect and held out my left hand to show him my ring.

"What is that?! Hailey! Are you crazy! You can't marry him, you're only 17!"

"Calm down! Its a promise ring."

"Oh... now that's cute."

"I know! AH!" I jumped up and down, "He's so adorable, I love him so much!" I squealed, smiling and twisting my ring.

"You love him?"

I quickly nodded, "He said it first and something just clicked and I knew."

"That's awesome, I'm so happy for you. I have some news though."

"Okay... you're freaking me out."

"I don't know how I'm supposed to say this, so I'm just gonna say it. First I want to say that I'm sorry, and I love  you..... I'm transferring to Dalton Academy. I can't deal with Korofsky, pushing me around anymore."

"When....?"

"Immediately...."

I drew in a shaky breath, this was not happening, not now. "Kurt...." Tears filled my eyes.

"Please don't cry, you're gonna make me cry."

"I'm sorry, I'm just gonna miss you so much, I can't imagine not seeing you everyday, and now I have too, but you need this. You need to get away from the mess that is McKinley, and go somewhere where you are accepted. That's not here, it's at Dalton, and I am going to miss you SO much, but you need to figure out what's best for you. So, knowing that you have a better chance at happiness.... that makes me happy." I felt a tear run down my face.

Kurt held out his arms, "Come here."

I stepped closer and he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me in for a comforting hug.

"You're the best, best friend ever," I said, looking up at him.

"I know."

I laughed and stepped away, "You better text me every single day, and call me every other."

"I will, and I'm sorry that I have to leave, I just can't handle feeling like I don't belong anymore. You don't need me either, you have Sam, he'll keep you safe. He promised you that."

"I know," I said, smiling.

"Well I have to go say goodbye to everyone else in glee, so we should go."

I nodded, closed my locker, and turned to walk towards the choir room. When we got there I went up and sat by Sam.

"Hey, Babe," Sam said putting his arm around me and kissing me on the forehead.

"Hey..." Was all I had to say, my day was too crazy to say anything else.

"Kurt, I wanna talk to you about this amazing idea I had for a solo for you at sectionals."

"Can I make an announcement first?" Mr. Schue nodded, "I'm transferring, to Dalton Academy, immediately. My parents are using the money they saved up for their honeymoon to pay for the tuition."

"Kurt, you can't leave..." Tina said, quietly

"What the hell dude, how bout' you talk with me about this first? Finn said, standing up

"I'm sorry Finn but there's nothing to talk about, Karofsky's coming back tomorrow and that means I'm not."

"We can protect you!" Sam said