FIFTEEN - Aliens

A/N

Guess who decided to finally make an appearance after a month of not posting anything? Yep, it's...yours truly.

My incompetence on my updating schedule has been the bane of my existence, although I'm pinning to be more active so I can give all you wonderful people the rest of this story by the end of the year :p 

I hope you enjoy this reboot!

P.S. A good friend of mine made the sketch of the aliens (posted up above); I have to say they're exactly what I imagined 😁

~~~~~

Estella had never been more grateful for the odd extents her violet chemical-changing factor offered, although admittedly, there could have been less awkward ways to take the impact of falling from the sky. Slithering like a gelatinous, boneless boa down a rugged beech came with an uncomfortable prickly sensation almost everywhere on her body, but it was a better alternative to the numerous white scratches Alycs suffered.

The older teen glanced over at Estella when she reformed, giving her state a quick once-over before nodding. "We've got to get going." Promptly, he turned on his heel and walked off.

"To where?" Estella asked.

"To catch someone before their Decathlon starts!" Alycs called back, his long, loping strides forcing Estella to jog to catch up.

The decathlon was held in a large, granite building with smooth stone steps and decorative stained-glass windows - a wealthy high school, that was for sure. A pearly overhang supported by two decorative pillars loomed over the short staircase to the entrance, a wide blue banner reading 'USAD Academic Decathlon' hanging neatly between them. The interior was just as grand, whilst littered with countless volunteers in fleecy blue vests. It was both an overwhelming and claustrophobic experience for the younger of the two teens as they navigated through the crowds, stopping only to ask for directions from an information booth.

Their efforts to be quick were in vain, however, as they were met with a bored-looking brunette blocking the entrance to the theatre, where the competition was being held. A sign reading 'Now Competing - Brooklyn High VS Midtown High' stood importantly by her side, the time frame scrawled on with a whiteboard marker. Estella deduced the guy they were looking for was in one of the two schools by Alycs' sound of disappointment.

"Five bucks a person for visitor entry." She intoned, staring at her phone. "Next round will be in thirty minutes."

"I suppose we should go and grab lunch, then." Alycs responded, turning away dispiritedly. "Come on, Stel, let's go find a place to eat."

They made it as far as the information desk before Estella's knees suddenly buckled, and had Alycs not been at her side, she would've face-planted into a shoe. Her face was changing into a translucent mauve, and it seemed even in the mere seconds that passed, she was growing fainter and fainter; like a waterlogged battery in a flashlight. Pushing aside his questions, Alycs placed a hand on her shoulder, guiding them away from the crowd and pulling her aside.

"Deep breaths - concentrate on me." He watched as Estella took a steadying breath, her skin slowly beginning to regain a humane, peachy hue. Traces of violet were still laced through her skin, working into her eyes and hollowing her cheeks.

"Let's find you a place to sit, ok?" Estella nodded slowly, following Alycs wordlessly as he navigated through the halls, pausing at random intervals to peek into different rooms. Finally, they arrived at a large set of double doors labelled 'Study Hall' and after Alycs' word of approval, they entered.