PROLOGUE

"I'm going out to see the stars."

The silhouette of a twelve-year-old appeared in the doorway, a dark shape against the synthetic light of her surroundings.

Tentatively, she stepped out into the tenebrous dim of her backyard; the slide door squeaking slightly as she tugged it shut. Only then did she allow herself to exhale, frustratedly swiping at her damp cheeks.

Where will I go? How will I live? What am I now? What will I become? She mocked herself, despite knowing the gravity of the situation. Maybe it was the renovation of her home, coupled with the fact she had to set foot in a high school in a few weeks that set her off. Her parents weren't making it any easier, either – as if she was supposed to have it all plotted out at this point. I'm gonna grow up, go to university, get a job, pay bills, grow old...

And I'm not ready.

Estella Robins sucked in a breath as she looked up, searching for some sort of condolence from the air above. A gentle, phantom breeze buffed her cooling cheeks. The stars were barely visible between the dark limbs grasping at the sky; forever guarding their earthen birthplaces until they fell.

At least they know what they'll be doing when they grow up.

She attempted to peer through the trees' leafy branches to no avail, and gave up shortly after with a small huff, turning away. There's got to be a better view than this...

As if to answer her inward call of distress, she was met with the metal scaffold-ladder leading up to the roof, its large structure steady and cool to the touch.

Do I really want to risk climbing it? She asked herself. There's the danger of falling off... And of course, the more likely chance of running into some nocturnal animal.

But it was midnight, the moon had turned its blind eye, and she was feeling adventurous.

Hand over hand she pulled herself up the ladder, keeping her eyes trained on the area above her. Nearing the second platform, she crawled between the bars, sight blurry and fingers unsteady. Bumping into a cold surface against the house, she glanced up, finding a short ladder leading to the highest level.

A strange, unknown force compelled Estella to continue; and without another moments' hesitation she hoisted herself upwards.

Slowly, she swung her leg on the roof, crouching slightly as she landed, then straightening. Her breath caught as her eyes adjusted to the multitude of small, yet bright pinpricks of light winking in the sky.

The night sky was beautiful.

It seemed as though every time she focused on a singular spot in the sky, stars would appear rapidly in its place until it could barely be called a dark sky anymore. Each astrological point seemed to twinkle and vibrate in its place, giving Estella the sense that this wasn't just any ordinary starry night.

It was alive.

She blinked to see if her eyes were playing tricks on her, a cool shiver running down her spine when the mysterious scene moved again before her.

Against their smaller companions, a few large stars shone and danced in the sky, growing brighter and bigger until she had to avert her eyes.

When she looked back, the stars had melded together and were now floating in her direction, its path wavy yet entrancingly elegant and mysterious.

As the huge constellation moved towards Estella, she began to make out the armored arachnid's two large pedipalps, admiring the powerful yet gentle slither of its segmented tail. She marveled at the creature's mystic red-and-black mottled colour as the creature neared her; seemingly emitting his own faded light just brighter than that of the night sky.

When the stellar-borne legend slowed to a stop two meters from Estella, she shied away slightly in fright. Realising it had no intentions to hurt her, she slowly reclaimed her step, her voice coming out tremulous and small.

"Who...who are you?"

The creature stared at her through its dark orbs that held both knowledge and mystery, seemingly content with studying the young human being before him. When he finally spoke, his voice seemed to bounce off the stars, resonating through Estella's mind with a powerful, melodic thrum.

My name is Scorpio, home-bound traveller of the cosmos.

Scorpius... Stellar-legend Scorpio, rumoured to be Hercules' designated assassinator and one of the Zodiac's Three Travelers. Adventurer of the universe, roamer of the galaxy, habitant of the In-Between. Images flashed through her mind, pictures she couldn't remember seeing before, stories and poems she couldn't recall reading.

Estella watched the eight-legged creature in wonder as the information surfaced in her consciousness; despite her confusion as to how she knew the foreign information in the first place. The corner of her lip quirked up unconsciously in awe as she studied the glossy patterns on his shell and the rows of tiny glowing that tinged his limbs. Undeniable power radiated from every inch of his being, yet he had the strange aura of calmness about him, the kind where endless meant definite and dark meant free.

Would it be rude to keep staring? She pondered for barely a second, then dismissed it. Might as well. I'll probably be grounded for life, regardless.

Estella wistfully wished she could go with him - to relieve the pressures of her life, see the universe, meet the other side of the cosmos and its possible inhabitants - but she knew it would be a child's dream, not to mention impossible.

Impossible? I think not.

She perked up at Scorpio's unexpected words, cocking her head to one side in surprise.

"Really?"

You can come with me if you'd like. Explore the cosmos, stars, and universe. I haven't had a companion for a long time, and a new friend would be welcome.

I could live a life only possible in my most imaginative dreams, Estella realized. I would travel the cosmos, do anything I wanted, and live unbound to the expectations of the people around me.

I could escape reality.

The young teen was exhilarated at the thought of adventure in space, of all the possibilities Scorpio could show her... But...

"How do I breathe?"

He let out a brief, rolling chuckle.

In through your nose, out through your mouth. Just like normal. Tonight, the cosmos is lending you its power and vows to keep you safe.

She didn't reply after that, her mind lost in thought. The universe was gifting her with its power. She could experience journeys only written in legends. She could be free.

What do you wish to do?

Estella took a deep breath, and stepped forward, resting her palm on the claw of the great scorpion. Her mind was made up, teeming with excitement.

"I wish to go with you."