ELEVEN - Danger Warning

A/N
Apologies for my unexplained hiatus! I just recently got into BBC Sherlock fanfics and some Wolverine comics, so to put it shortly I reverted back into my 'reader' state for a while. But I'm back (with a pretty long chapter at that, too)!

Just to let you readers know, this story is based loosely on the trailer for the actual movie, but I'm planning to make this more different from what the movie has planned.

Without further ado, onto the chapter!
---

Peter Parker sat in the middle row of the school bus, unable to shake the feeling that something wrong was happening. He could feel it in his gut, like a frightened, coiled viper ready to strike at any moment - and he was certain it wasn't because of their Decathlon.

Flash thought it was nerves; Betty was convinced he had a stomach bug; MJ believed he sensed an upcoming global apocalypse and Abe blamed Ned for perhaps tasering his best friend; due to all the tinkering Ned had found an obsession for recently.

The latter, of course, was due to the amount of time Ned spent hacking into gadgets to help Peter with his secret nighttime occupation: crime-fighting.

Speaking of which, Peter found he quite enjoyed his 'friendly neighbourhood job' after he declined Tony's Avenger offer - he understood now that being an Avenger was more than just the amazing title and boasting rights: it came with responsibility, experience, consequences and was just as much of protecting the good as it was defeating the bad.

Besides, just the fact Tony Stark had asked him to join the group was enough of a milestone for Peter; and he didn't need to prove himself to anyone else.

Bzzt bzzt.

"Someone text you?"

Peter started slightly, resisting his Spidey instinct to jump to the ceiling.

Dammit, MJ. Please warn me BEFORE you sneak up on me!

"Er...yeah." Peter quickly fished his phone from his pocket, scanning the text quickly.

His eyes widened, just at the same moment he felt a tingle at his skin. Looking up, he saw every hair standing up on his arm - his Spidey sense was calling.

"What?" Michelle asked, concerned.

A shudder suddenly shook the bus, causing every kid to look up.

"What's that?" Abe shouted, pointing at the massive, spiralling grey machine that had planted itself in the center of the city. Kids pulled down bus windows for a better glimpse at the monstrosity, gawking in awe.

While MJ was distracted, Peter quickly took a picture of the alien structure and elbowed Ned; hustling them to an empty seat on the other side of the bus.

"Look." He stated, shoving his phone urgently into Ned's hands. Ned took it for a second, scrolling through; then returned the device as he tried to reason with his friend.

"Towers falling from the sky and then this - this is Avengers' work, not yours, and you said you didn't want to be in the Avengers anymore, which I still don't get-"

"No, Ned, the point is, something wrong is happening." Peter rubbed his temples. "Even though I turned down Mr. Stark's offer, still, someone has to do something....I'll let him know and hopefully he'll do something."

"I'm sure Stark already knows," Ned said, confused.

"Not talking about Stark." The teenage superhero replied ominously as he checked his phone again; leaving his best friend and guy-in-the-chair wondering who could he possibly be talking about.