Chapter Two

Voldemort took refuge in Riddle Manor. None of his Death Eaters were welcomed here. Only his inner circle were even aware of its existence. He walked immediately into his library to begin researching what transpired between him and the Potter child. He had a suspicion of what happened, but he was still in a state of complete disbelief, or moreover, he didn't want to believe it. He summoned a book that was mostly in parseltongue that had the most information about horcruxes. He read with a rabid thirst. He wanted to be wrong and craved it for the first time in his life. But the more he read he realized that there could be no other explanation. The book states that once the soul has been severed, it becomes unstable, and it is possible to sever it unintentionally. One thing the book specifically warned against after making your first horcrux is encounters with entirely pure beings. If you took the life of something so pure intentionally your soul would be split again. Souls are fickle things since every slice is sentient. They will seek another living vessel. They crave none more than a soul that is yet unblemished.

Voldemort thought for a moment. Who could be purer than a year-old child? One supposedly chosen by fate as her champion of the light. And if not fate herself, Dumbledore surely did. And now, with all the faith of the witches and wizards supporting him. Hara has the potential to be a very pivotal being for "the greater good." My God's..." Voldemort breathed and clasped his hands over his face in exasperation. "The girl is my Horcrux!

But that doesn't answer the question of why I gained more power or why my body is starting to repair itself." He conjured a mirror in front of him and was taken off balance. Not only had his power increased and internal injuries been healed. Everything was being restored. His coloring had gone from a translucent white to a normal porcelain hue. The slit that formed his nose was no longer there, but a perfect aristocratic nose took its place. His head, which used to be completely bald, now had short jet-black hair that, if he looked close enough, was still growing. He looked at his eyes, the blood red with flecks of orange and black making them look like a window directly into hell itself. But now creeping around his iris, a stormy blue with bolts of sapphire, were now visible.

The Dark Lord sat back in his chair with his mind absolutely reeling. He had started to look more serpent-like with every horcrux he made. What could have caused this? Surely the creation of another horcrux would further distort his appearance, not restore it? An idea occurred to him. And for the second time in his life, he found himself once again hoping he was wrong.

He took a few deep breaths in and let them out slowly. He sat further back in his chair and closed his eyes. Meditating and retreating into his mind and passing even that to encounter his soul. Instead of a mangled mess, he encountered a vibrant, regal dark silver light that was expanding and contracting with vigor similarly to a heart, but every once again, it would surge like a wave. It's been... restored... how!!! Feeling a surge of fear fill him. Am I now mortal?! Are my other horcruxes destroyed?! How is it that my soul looks complete when I'm certain that a part of my soul now resides in the girl!?" And that's when he caught a glimpse of a brilliant golden light that was infused into the silver-like life-giving veins. No... it can't be!

Voldemort immediately pulled out of his mind and apparated to Malfoy Manor and stormed into the nursery where the two sleeping infants were curled into one another. He lifted the baby girl out of the crib, not caring if it disturbed her or the Malfoy's heir. Hara slowly woke and blinked up at him sleepily, then gave him a completely trusting smile. And snuggled closer to his chest. He allowed it for a moment, not knowing again why he let the girl take any sort of comfort in him. He spotted a rocking chair in the corner of the nursery and sat him and little Hara down placing her on his knee facing him. She gave him an all too quizzical look for a one-year-old babe. "Shhh little one... be calm. I need you to remain in a secure frame of mind so that no harm comes to you... astonishingly, she seemed to understand him. Or at least understood she was in no danger. He placed his index fingers on her temples, using the other four fingers to gently hold her in place so she would not wiggle or fall from his knee. Then he dove into her mind. He felt utter contentedness and even happiness at being in her mind. She has no troubles, no worries. It was an overwhelming serenity that overtook him, and he lost his reason for being there completely for a moment until he felt a slight nudge. Was that the girl? She seemed happy and even excited that she had company in her mind, and it added to his confusion. Gathering himself, he pushed further through her mind, finally reaching her soul, and his hypothesis was immediately confirmed when he saw the swirling gold waves surge merrily around, with silver veins running through. She's my horcrux, but I am also hers; how could this possibly be..? He felt another nudge and then he had a foreign idea pressed upon him. "Pway?" Images of colorful bubbles, bright pink smoke, and a blue ball all floated through before his eyes. Voldemort quickly but carefully pulled back out of her mind and stared at her at a complete loss. She was one puzzle, after another enigma, followed by a conundrum. Hara crawled up his chest, looking into his eyes, then brought her tiny hands up and covered his eyes, then promptly uncovered them and bounced excitedly in his lap. "Boo!" She said aloud happily giggling. "No... shhh, little one. Now isn't the time for any sort of frivolity. It's time to rest..." he stood up from the rocking chair and held her in his arms for a moment. "Shh... sleep now, Hara..." She gave one more attempt at covering his eyes, but he shook her little hands off, and she sighed, laid her head on his shoulder, and put her thumb in her mouth. Voldemort stayed for a moment, hoping the child would fall asleep quickly. He could have easily called Narcissa in and had her tend to the girl. But for some reason, he was unwilling to. Hara was now his. He flicked his wand, and tiny puffs of smoke shaped like hippogriffs circled around her in a calming tempo. Her little eyes fluttered closed minutes later, and she fell into a peaceful sleep. He leaned over the crib and laid her beside the sleeping Malfoy boy. Her raven-colored hair flopped out of her face, and he saw a red scar on her forehead shaped like a bolt of lightning. He gently ran a finger over it, knowing it was where the Killing curse had struck her. A Horcrux in something as fragile as a child chilled him to his bones. Though, this girl is special. You survived a killing curse, didn't you? No... I believe my soul has found a safe home in you, Hara..."

Voldemort left the room, closing the door as quietly as he could. He hesitated a few steps outside the door before he turned and cast a few protection wards around the room. He only allowed himself, the Malfoy parents, and his personal house elf, Tili, to enter. Satisfied, he walked into one of the many sitting rooms in Malfoy Manor when another thought occurred to him. How will he keep the girl hidden? He would not allow Dumbledore to get a hold of her. But with the trace active in magical Britain, she could be found once her power started to develop and she caused accidental magic. He summoned Lucius Malfoy once more.

A sleepy-looking Lucius made his way to his Lord wearing a luxurious-looking bed robe.

"You summoned me, my Lord? Lucius said, stifling a yawn.

"I need you to retrieve any documents at the ministry regarding Hara Potter. Her parents' will, too. I need to know who they intended her magical guardian to be. Go. Now!"

Lucius bowed then turned and walked into another guest room before transfiguring his sleeping attire to suitable clothes that he could be seen in. He then promptly apparated mumbling something about not being able to sleep at all in his own home.

Voldemort called for a house elf to bring tea. He knew this night, now turning into early morning, would go on for hours more. He couldn't afford to rest now. There was too much to attend to. He spent the next hour flipping through books that could possibly offer him more information on his and Hara's situation before he thought of tuning into the Wizarding Wireless Network radio to see if news about the Potters had come to light. Sure enough, the radio came to life.

BREAKING: Lily and James Potter were murdered last night. Dumbledore has confirmed it was indeed He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. The whereabouts of their child, Hara Potter, are still unknown. If you have any information, please contact the Department of Magical Law Enforcement immediately. Now more than ever we need to stand together through these dark times. -signing off. Jonathan Vane.

The unmistakable sound of apparition caught Voldemort's ear and Voldemort had just raised his hood of his cloak before Lucius rushed in holding a stack of parchment.

"My Lord, some of these documents have been submitted only a mere thirty-seven minutes ago. One with Dumbledore's signature on it!"

Voldemort snatched them from his grasp and quickly read through them. His eyebrows raised in surprise... Plotting against your own Dumbledore?

Just then, Voldemort felt the unmistakable sensation of one of his Death-Eaters calling to him, who seemed to be in dire need. He gritted his teeth in anger but disapparated anyway. Hopefully, he would be able to exercise some of his frustration out on either whoever was causing his Death-Eater harm or, if not the Death-Eater, if they summoned him unnecessarily.