Good/Not Good

Dustin’s POV

I’ve been awake for maybe an hour and couldn’t fall back asleep so I turned the tv on for a bit with the volume down low. It must have been a little too load because I heard little feet hit the floor, knowing Grant slid out of bed. So I got up and went up the stairs and he just said something as I opened the door. He looked at me all sleepy eyed and held his arms up for me to pick him up, which I did. I walked over and checked Sarah and had recovered her up with one hand as I had Grant in the other.

I returned down stairs since it was only 7:30 and laid Grant on the sofa and turned on some of his Paw Patrol.

“Hey bud, Dus is going outside and I’ll be right back okay?” I said quietly. He replied with a simple k.

I went outside to the truck and grabbed the two semi-small suitcases and headed back inside. I waved to Grant as he still sat on the sofa completely focused on his Paw Patrol and I went upstairs. I dropped the suitcases off and I took a look at Sarah as I stood in the doorway, she looked so peaceful. Shutting the door, I went back down stairs, checked on Grant and went into the kitchen. I grabbed a bottle of water and some juice for Grant and headed into the front room again.

Sitting down next to Grant, “here’s some juice bud,” I said as he grabbed it.

He took a drink and as I leaned back and he laid down on my lap. I put the juice on the other side of my lap.

“Hey bud who’s the red guy?” I said pointing at the tv.

He didn’t even move or hesitate when he said, “Mars-al.”

I smiled as I sat there watching the show with Grant and after a while I was sure Grant had fallen asleep. I checked the time and it was only 8:20 so I relaxed and tried to fall asleep.

Sarah’s POV

Waking up in a room I didn’t recognize and with no one here scared me at first till I remembered I was at The Lynch’s house. I looked around and saw that Dustin had carried the suitcases inside and that my phone was on the table along side of the bed. I checked the time and it was shortly after 9 so I decided to get dressed.

With a pair of shorts and my NYPD shirt I headed downstairs and when I took that turn towards where I thought the front room was I just kinda smiled. Looking into the front room I saw Dustin passed out on the sofa so I took a closer. When I got closer I realized cartoons were on tv and so that meant one, that Grants around or two, Dustin has a secret side to him. I walked up behind Dustin and I was about to kiss him when I saw Grant passed out of Dustin’s lap and I saw my opportunity. I walked around to the front of the sofa a took some pictures. I put my phone down and I quietly woke Grant up and told him to go upstairs and that I’d be up to help him get changed, which he did so. Meanwhile Dustin didn’t even budge, I sat down next to him and I scooted closer to him. Seeing that I still haven’t woke him up, I lightly kissed his cheek almost just tickling him. I looked at him still not seeing anything and then I just got tired of just messing around to, so I put my hand on his cheek and leaned in for a kiss and for a few second nothing till I felt a smile form. I leaned back and smiled as I got up.

“Hey Dus, Grants upstairs and I gotta go help him, just thought to wake you up first though,” I said walking back around the sofa.

“Okay Reag and thanks but you can’t just kiss me and walk away, it’s not that easy,” he said turning around on his knees watching me.

“Well what do you want me to do then,” I said walking toward him.

Smiling he said, “well you should come just a little closer and find out.”

I did as he asked for and was leaning in to kiss him but as soon as his eyes shut and just about when his lips would’ve touched mine I took off. Running upstairs I quickly shut the door and locked it. Grant was sitting on the bed waiting for me and I went and grabbed Dustin’s suitcase which had Grants clothes in it along with his. I changed Grant into a pair of athletic pants and a black t shirt and I sent him downstairs to Dustin with his socks. I changed into a pair of jeans and put my hair up into a bun. When I was done getting presentable for Dustin’s parents I went downstairs.

I turned the corner and saw Dustin sitting on the sofa with Grant and I asked, “Where’s the jackets from last night?”

Dustin turned around and pointed by the door, “hanging on the rack above the shoes.”

I walked over to the rack and grabbed Dustin’s hoodie and started to put it on. I just pulled it over my head when I felt some little arms wrap around my leg and a strong set of arms around my waist. I leaned my head back onto Dustin’s shoulder as he kissed me and whispered, “that’s my hoodie Miss. Reagan.” I pushed Dustin away as I picked up Grant and I turned around and whispered back, “ohh I thought it was mine Mr. Lynch.”

Smiling I walked away into the kitchen and I sat Grant down as I got into the fridge and grabbed a water. I took a sip as I heard Dustin’s parents start to stir upstairs. I instantly felt my heart start to race and my mind flooded with questions, almost like it all just hit me. The last time I felt this way is when I meant Austin parents, Adam and Grace. Panic sent in again as I thought about Austin all over again, but I was able to calm myself down and I kinda kicked into police mode. Dustin parents, Chuck and Patti, turned the corner and was overwhelmed seeing Dustin again and while they were all giving each other hugs Grant ran over wanting to get hugs too. At first I was worried but after I saw Patti’s heart melt when Grant wanted Dustin and I relaxed. Soon it was time so Dustin and walked over to me with Grant in his arm and wrapped his other arm around my shoulder and we walked towards Chuck and Patti.

“Mom, dad this is Sarah, my girlfriend,” Dustin began and started to get upset, “Sarah, this is my parents, Chuck and Patti.” I just kinda stood there and I slowly looked up at Dustin but I didn’t see Dustin I saw Austin. I couldn’t take it and I took off ran out the door and down the street. I continued to run till I was out of sight and by the time I stopped, tears were streaming down my face.

Dustin’s POV

With Sarah running out I was confused, did I say something?, was is too much? I didn’t know and neither did my parents. In a hurry I managed to tell them not to worry and that I’d be back in a little bit and I asked them to take care of Grant till we did. I managed to get my feet in my shoes and I also grabbed Sarah’s NYPD jacket and I put that on and grabbed Sarah’s shoes and I ran off down the road. I ran to the end of the road and I stopped realizing I don’t know what way to go and I just went with my heart and I took a right. I ran and ran and until I needed to take a rest at the park and I was sitting there on the bench, just looking at her jacket that I was wearing. Thoughts just kept going through my mind and I just couldn’t think of why Sarah would run, I looked up to the sky and just stared. When I finished I got up and I started to jog off when I saw what looked like my hoodie and I stopped. When I took a closer look I saw that it was my hoodie and Sarah was the one wearing it and I sprinted off towards her.

I reached her and I kneeled down dropping her shoes I reached out and gently touched her legs since she had her head tucked in her knees and her arms wrapped around her legs.

“Reag you okay?” I whispered but Sarah didn't answer. I just sat there until I asked her again, “Are you okay, Sarah?” I rubbed her leg hoping she would talk and she finally looked up at me, her face all red.

“Ohh I am so sorry Dus it’s just..jus..” she started to say but I stood up and grabbed her hands pulling her up.

“It’s okay Reag I get it, it’s about Austin, right?” I asked but as soon as I said his name I had my answer. Sarah started crying again and so I pulled her in hugging her. We just stood there till Sarah calmed down, she stepped back and looked at me. I reached up and put my hand on her cheek and rubbed it with my thumb. She smiled and hooked her arms around my neck and leaned in and she kissed me. “You know what Dus?” Sarah said resting her forehead on mine, “I believe that’s my jacket.” We broke out laughing and I kissed her lightly as we walked back towards the house with my arm around her shoulder and her arm around my waist.