Thirty-Seven

Jason's POV

I lied.

My team found out a little bit more about the rogue agents. Seems that they were after more than just Miley. Miley only played a small role in their master plan. Though her safety was still something to be concerned about, at least until the agents were found.

When I found out the news, I couldn't stop thinking about Miley. Well, not like I ever stopped thinking about her, to begin with. I was just worried and I needed to see her face-to-face in order to calm down. It didn't matter that the guards were right down the street. I need to see her with my own two eyes.

Even as I stand in the same house as her, it isn't enough. I need to see her face, look into her eyes, but I know she won't let me. Not right now. Though her reaction was better than I thought it was going to be...I could still sense that she was angry with me. And she has every right to feel that way.

I took a deep breath as I sat at the bottom of the stairs. My heart was beating so fast that my chest was in pain. I want and need to be closer to her. I stood to my feet and slowly walked up the stairs.

I knew that this wasn't going to end well for me, but I wanted to be closer to her. I wasn't familiar with the layout of the large house so I just walked around and opened each door I saw.

I reached a door at the end of the hall and tried to open it but it was locked. I sighed and took a step back knowing that Miley is on the other side of the door.

"Miley," I whispered tapping lightly on the door.

"I was hoping that we could talk," I said clearing my throat. I hadn't quite figured out what I was going to say to her, there really isn't an explanation for any of my behavior.

I stood silently with my back against the wall opposite of the door. I heard her footsteps on the other side of the door. She was pacing.

"Miley," I whispered once more. "There is a lot that I want and need to tell you. I know you have no reason to listen to me, but I just need you to know the truth." I said sliding down the wall and sitting with my back against it.

The odds of Miley opening the door is slim to none. So, I knew that I should just say what I want now, or I never will.

"The truth is X—Liam contacted me and told me that if I didn't stay away from you something bad would happen. This was before our lunch with Steven. I didn't listen and that night everything leaked to the media. His next threat was much scarier. I was afraid he might do something even worse." I paused and shook my head.

I knew that I should have done everything differently and if I had things would have been different, but at the time I didn't have a choice but to follow his orders.

Miley's POV

"I made a mistake," Jason said. His voice shaky and distorted. He almost sounded weak.

"Josh and I didn't know what to do. Your safety was our number one priority." Jason became silent once more.

I wanted to open the door—to see his face once more but I'm too weak. I know that if I open the door I would collapse into his arms and instantly forgive him. I need to hear his words and his reasoning before even thinking about any of that.

"The things that I said were out of line, and they weren't true," Jason whispered.

I fell to my knees as the words from that wretched night came back into memory. I had tried everything to forget about it but now it feels like it just happened yesterday.

I sat leaning against the door pulling my knees to my chest trying to cradle my whole body.

"I knew that I had to say those words in order to make it look real. X—Liam would have done much more damage if I made it look anything but real." Jason sighed.

I felt something push on the other side of the door. Justin was now leaning against the other side. We were so close but still felt like we were miles apart.

"I didn't mean any of it. I know that doesn't change anything that happened but you need to know that I am so sorry that things played out this way." He finished with a sad sigh.

I remained silent as my mind was running wild and I didn't know how to respond to him.

"I'm sorry," Jason whispered.

So am I. I'm sorry that I don't trust Jason. I'm sorry that I don't want to give in. I'm sorry that I just can't let go of this just yet.

I won't put pressure on myself to let go and jump into his arms. I don't think I'm ready for that nor do I want that just yet. I let out a shaky breath as my heart continued to beat at a fast-uneasy rate.

His words helped relieved some of the pain but everything was still present and it wasn't something that I would forget anytime soon.

I felt my eyes become heavy before the world escaped my grasp and I fell into a deep sleep on the bedroom floor.

Jason's POV

I found myself laying on the floor outside her door. I wasn't expecting her to open it anytime soon but I felt some weight leave my shoulders when I finally explained everything to her.

There was still new information about Liam and the rogue agents but I wasn't sure that Miley was ready to hear all that yet. Right now, she is safe and that is all that matters.

I heard Miley's soft cries turn into snores and I felt a smile find its way onto my face. She was sleeping, my baby girl.

I wanted to watch her as she slept, to hold her in my arms, and sleep with her, but that wasn't going to happen just yet.

I don't know when or how but I know that I am going to get my girl back no matter how long I have to wait.

Soon I found that I was falling into a deep sleep.