“Leave her alone,” another Moon Child said, coming up. “Queen Luna wants to see her anyway.”

                The new Moon Child was female and obviously ranked higher than the two Moon Children guards. Both of them straightened and turned to look at her. She had the same pure-white hair that all Moon Children, except Luna, that is, had, and silver eyes. Despite their similar looks, she looked familiar to Kayla; she had seen her the previous day in Luna’s personal tent.

                “She’s not queen yet and she’s already ordering us around,” grumbled the first Moon Child; he was the leader of him and his partner. “Why do you call her the queen, anyway? She’s only been elected. And what’s it going to be like if she really does become queen?”

                The female Moon Child scowled darkly. “She’s been named as King Ganymede’s successor,” she retorted. “And she’s been voted for by the majority of the Council and the Moon Children. I really don’t see why you’re so upset, Jupiter.”

                Jupiter rolled his eyes. “Of course, you wouldn’t, Europa,” he said. “You’re a simpleton! Besides, are you just going to let this… traitor march through our camp without the specific precautions? You know better.”

                Europa turned to Kayla. “Queen Luna already knows that she has no evil intentions,” she told Jupiter. She’s to surrender all her weapons here. And the queen already knows she’ll do it without complaining.”

                Doing her best to keep from scowling, Kayla laid her spear aside on the ground and added her staff next to it for good measure. She dug out a small knife from her thigh holster, another concealed knife from her boot and a switchblade from under her shirt. After all, even if she was disarmed in battle, she could always fight with a knife, even if it wasn’t one of the special Magician of Water daggers.

                “What are you going to do with all those weapons?” scoffed Jupiter.

                “Save your sorry butt,” Kayla replied, her temper short, knowing that she’d probably regret her rudeness later on. Europa kicked her in the ankle and she winced. Jupiter’s face darkened; he was clearly not happy at being cheeked by a magician.

                Before Jupiter could have another go at her for her rudeness, Europa grabbed her arm and frog-marched her away. Kayla glanced over her shoulder and caught Jupiter’s angry eye. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to mock the Moon Children.

                “You’re asking for it from Jupiter,” Europa warned, pulling Kayla towards Luna’s tent.

                “He started it,” Kayla defended herself.

                “Who’s to blame isn’t important,” Europa told her. “If you can’t get on with the Moon Children, what makes you think that the other magicians can?”

                “I’m not a very friendly person,” Kayla replied, thinking about the ease some nicer magicians would have with the magicians. “Dahlia can get along with them easily.”

                Europa laughed. “That’s your beautiful charmer friend, right?” she asked. When Kayla nodded, she shook her head. “Dahlia’s a deceiver. She can spin magic with her words. There’s no guarantee that what she says is the truth. She could be a master manipulator and no one would be able to guess.”

                Kayla nodded in acceptance and Europa led her to one of the silver tents in the middle of the Moon Children camp. There were two Moon Children guards outside the tent, both of whom nodded at Europa and Kayla. One of them tugged aside the tent cloth and gestured for them to go them into the tent.