Chapter Twenty Nine

The booming laughter of All Might shook the room.

The laugh that usually brought smiles to others faces made those shake in fear.

They had not know that the number one hero could be so intimidating.

Some even began to evaluate their choice in committing themselves to this.

Because frankly, getting beaten up repeatedly by a man that weighed the same as a mountain was not in the job description. But even if they wanted to flee, they stayed to fight. Perhaps not as aggressive or as eager as before, but they did not waver from fighting.

All Might could not help but to respect that.

Unfortunately, said respect was being overshadowed by his current task and emotions.

"Eraserhead," he began, having just stomping his foot on the backs the enemies. For good measure, he made sure to elbow them, hearing a blood-curling scream when finished.

"Status update?"

His voice was cheery, as if doing this was enjoyment for him. To others, he would be seen as insane. But for him, it was all he had left. If he let this mask fall, he would not be able to stop himself of what he'd say or do next.

The blonde took a brief second to turn towards the black-haired man. He was busy dodging and weaving, binding others with his wraps and rending their attacks null and void. He couldn't afford to glance over, and judging by the concentration present at his lips, he was not going to respond. He could not stare for much longer, as an harsh cut landed him on his jaw, sending him backwards to recoil.

Laughing, the man wiped at his bloodied cheek, spitting out the copper liquid that invaded his taste-buds.

"That's a pretty tough knife you have there. I'm almost impressed."

It was a boy that delivered the blow, he noticed by the way he heard heard him chuckle. He did not look at him just yet though.

"It's really the GREAT All Might, huh?"

He giggled, and All Might froze. That...voice. Could it be-? He regained his footing, before swirling around to face the voice. And it was just as he expected.

"Midoriya?!"

The boy, Midoriya Izuku, grinned, freckled face stretching lightly to account for his large grin. All Might felt his stomach drop. That could not have been his successor.. could it?

No, no. It couldn't have been. Midoriya wouldn't attack him.

"I'm glad you remembered my name, All Might. After all, it took you guys forever to come and find me."

'He' raised the knife he cut him with, giggling uncontrollably. All Might narrowed his eyes.

"You're not Midroiya. Who are you?"

"That hurts, teach. You can't even notice you own student anymore? You really must be getting up in years."

There was no way that was him. It had to be some form of trickery. But what if this was him? Except he was brainwashed because they could not get here in time? No, Midoriya would've used his Quirk. But what if they erased his Quirk? He knew they had been working on something similar to that, after all.

God, he just did not know, and this looked like his precious successor, and he couldn't harm Midoriya, and-

"Gah!!"