A Trip to Paris

"Final call for flight 25 JFK to CDG", the calm woman's voice sang over the intercom as Rose raced through the airport, her suitcase chasing behind her frantically.

Rose was anything but calm. She couldn't miss this flight. Rose slowed only as she reached the end of the line to enter. James jogged up behind her and wrapped his arms around Rose, placing a kiss on her check. 

"I'm going to miss you". He said lovingly. Rose looked down at my engagement ring with a smile and then back up at her fiance. 

"I'll see you soon." she reassured just as a impatient woman grumbled something about hurrying up. "I love you!" Rose called and disappeared through the entryway.

...

The flight was long and boring, but as Rose stepped into the Paris airport, she was giddy to be back in France, and just a few more moments until she would be back in her home. The three years she had been in America had felt like an eternity. A wonderful eternity, but being back here was so strange. 

She had changed out of her grimy tennis shoes and into more classy heels as well as thrown on a cobalt blue trench coat to hide her tee shirt. The people of New York may not know who she was, but the Parisians certainly did and there was sure to be paparazzi. Sure enough, as Rose was escorted through the airport by the body guards, civilians snapped photos of her with gasps, unable to believe they had really just seen the princess. After one of her guards had fetched the princess's suitcase and another held the door open for her as they exited, Rose was blinded by the flashing camera lights. It had been so long since she had been bombarded like this. It was something she had not missed.

She did, however, miss her two beautiful sisters, Adeline and Colette. She had of course, spoken to them often whilst she was away, but video calling was so different than truly being able to hug your sisters. 

Rose smiled politely at the paparazzi but ignored all of their questions. This was a very difficult thing to do as they crowded around her and shouted thunderously. She was very thankful when the limo pulled up to the edge of the sidewalk and the guards helped her into the car. The cameras kept flashing even as the limo sped away. 

"We're almost there, your highness," the driver told Rose and sure enough, she could already see the palace in the distance. It was so lovely. The courtyard was absolutely breathtaking with the spring flowers and foliage. What was even more beautiful to Rose, however, were her sisters who stood excitedly in the gateway. 

Rose threw open the limo door and raced to the gate even before any of the guards could open it for her and help the princess out, as was customary. She embraced her sisters tightly, so happy to see them again. 

There were times like this, as she hugged her sister's tightly when the girls would wonder what it would be like if their parents had never died. How wonderful would it be to have a mother and father involved in their family hug. But there was no use dwelling on this, because there unfortunately is no way for the girls to get their parents back. 

"Happy sixteenth birthday, Colette!" said Rose, hugging the littlest sister, who wasn't so little anymore. Rose could hardly believe that while she was gone, the slightly awkward thirteen year old girl had blossomed into a stunning young woman. 

Rose reached within the pocket of her overcoat and pulled out a small box wrapped in floral wrapping paper. She handed the present over with a smile.

"You didn't need to get me anything, Rose. You being here is enough of a present," Colette said sweetly as she accepted the present, unwrapping it to reveal a turquoise box with 'Tiffany & Co.' inscribed across the front. Colette's eyes widened so much that you could see each an every shade of blue hidden within the iris. Colette pulled out a beautiful silver necklace with a fleur-de-lis diamond encrusted pendent.