13 - The Mountain

Start from the beginning

Lyall just shrugs. "You keep on asking questions since your arrival, so why stop now? I still can choose to not answer them." A light smile and I'm not sure if he is annoyed or
just trying to be nice or both.

"I do understand that you don't care about your looks that come along with that kind of lifestyle. Did you ever try human blood on your own?" I ask curiously.

Lyall keeps on smiling, "Yes, I did. Actually, I lived about half a century as a normal vampire before I chose my animalistic path."

"I still don't understand, but I respect your level of discipline then. I figured the easiest way of not missing something is, not knowing it," I still can't stop eying Lyall.

"You don't need to understand that; many never do. Some start to do during their undying life and change their minds." He shrugs. "In case you have any questions about our way of living. I'm always gladly here to answer," he grins again.

Maybe it is because I was so long in that mansion and surrounded by the same people all the time that I can't stop asking questions now, but there is something that bothers me. I need to make sure that there is no past that destroys this alliance. It's better to find out now.

"As we seem to agree on the way we work together, I really need to know: You never heard of me before, did you?" I ask carefully, but he just keeps on smiling.

"I think I remember your name, to be honest. You were that promising soldier next to Tristan Blackwood's side, back then in the Dark Ages. When we would fight each other and establish peace here. I can't remember we met in person, and back then I was much more human-looking than I do now," he slightly shakes his head.

It's my turn to smile. "Quiet promising, well - depends to which side you look I guess. In the end, it was Tristan who caused the peace and me...", I'm searching for the words, "I was doing my best to serve him well."

"I didn't forget, Ethan Vinge. Tristan talked about you, and my people talked about you as well; especially about ... the way you handled things." He clicks his tongue.

"Anyway, that was long ago and as far as I can see you've developed into someone else. Times have passed and since the council seems to trust you - I shall, too."

I take a moment to sort my thoughts and my smile broadens into a toothy grin. Becoming someone else is not exactly what I would call it.

"Even though my military career seems to have ended," I take a side look at the mountain of a man in front of me, "I can't help but would love to see the two of us sparring at one point in my new career."

I can't hold back my eyes from gleaming slightly green in the dark cave. I don't know if that's a topic for a first meeting but I don't care too much. I needed to let him know that.

He shrugs, then chuckles. "You want to find out who of us is stronger? Well, I almost feel tempted to try a little fight in friendship."

I keep on grinning even though the way Lyall put it makes me feel like an immature child. I start to understand why Tristan likes him.

"Oh my, a fight on my first day? Who would have guessed?" I play shocked at his suggestion but lean forward again. Lyall's grin also broadens at my amusement and he also leans towards me.

"I have a reputation to take care of, you know?" I say in a way one couldn't be sure if that's good or bad. He all of a sudden starts to laugh; a deep, growly laugh.

"Well, I also have one to take care of within my people, you know? And right now, only my people are within reach, right?"

It is then when I realize that Lyall is at the same level as Tristan in his tribe, and most probably has the same social status. I straighten out and let my leisurely approach fall. How could I have thought there is a non-official part here? It is as if I would be in a room with Tristan, I shouldn't act as if I'm in a pub.

"Please take my apologies. I've gone too far."

Instead of taking my apologies Lyall leans back and laughs out loud. "I like you, little guy. You are one funny fellow." He gets up from his seat and the wood it's made of seems to sigh from relief.

"Getting cold feet, huh?" he teases.

I need to hold back but can feel my anger level rising as he calls me 'little' first and then accusing me of being afraid; especially because I just offered him an easy way out. He doesn't need to lose his face, just because I am curious. I get up in a fluent movement. "Size is nothing that matters in a fight," I press out through my clenched teeth.

Lyall looks back over his big shoulder and grins. "Ah, you warm up though, huh?" Obviously provoking me. He turns around like someone who is getting ready for a fight. His canines shine through his dirty grin. "You are right, but what makes you a good fighter when it's obviously not your size?"

I growl at him. Staying calm is somehow against my temper as it seems. "I'm not fighting, I'm having fun," I say while following Lyall a few more steps and I can feel the tensions rising.

"Since when is it forbidden to have fun during a fight?" He grins. Is he teasing or testing me?

"I don't know, I'm not the one trying to avoid blood spilling at any cost." I slowly and nearly unnoticeable take a better stance, while showing my fangs in a cruel grin. I will hold back. I don't want to start this one; at least once I don't want to be that.