8: No Show

Raphael patiently waited until the clock struck nine. He sat beside Donatello as he bit on a slice of pizza Mikey ordered. It was dinner time and it seemed like the usual thing they had going on in the sewers. Just when he thought he glanced at the clock hanging by the pipes subtly, Leonardo stood on his feet and as he walked away, he sneered, "You waiting for something?"

Quickly, Raphael snapped and glared at his brother. They were in good terms yesterday, but it seemed as if one harmless question set him off again.

"The heck are ya' talking about?" Raphael defensively responded and finished his pizza.

Leonardo clenched the soda can and threw it perfectly into the trashbin, "You've been stealing glances at that clock since 6."

Mikey suddenly laughed, "He's been stealing glances at the clock since monday."

Leonardo glared at Raphael, "You've been night guardin' a little too often."

"Sorry, dad, if I've been going out too late than my curfew." Raphael stared at Leo before gorging on another pizza.

Leo sneered again, "Just curious, dude, that's all."

"I don't need to explain anything to you." Raph glanced at the clock and when he realized it was nine past five, he stood up and drank all the soda in the can. As he finished, Leo stood up and faced him, leaving inches of space between them. 

"You better not be doing anything that can put us in danger." 

Raphael gritted his teeth as he looked away then back at Leo, "Mind your own business, Leo. You don't see me sniffin up your bottom everyday."

Donny stood between them and tried to calm both turtles down, "Hey, hey, easy. We've got a mission tomorrow and we can't afford two hotheads."

Raphael shook his head, "I'm night guarding and saving people's lives, Leo. What are you doing?" he taunted, although he knew that was not completely true. Raphael would patrol the city for three hours then head straight to Alice's apartment to check up on her. Tonight would be the first time he'd visit her after he revealed himself and he really did not want anyone to know, especially Leo, that he was communicating with a human.

Although they had April, he knew his family would not allow him to communicate with Alice especially if she was a civilian. It would put her in danger--love would put them in danger. 

But Raphael forgot about this as his growing desire got the best of him. He realized Leo had already made a snarky comment but instead of responding back, he drank what was left in the can, clenched it and threw it in the bin without looking.

Once it perfectly landed inside the bin, Raphael spoke again, "I would really love it if I get some time alone before we get on a mission." He walked away.

"Slacking off before a mission?" Leo taunted, making Raphael stop walking.

He turned around, "Oh that's not me. That's definitely something you'd do."

Leonardo stepped closer to Raphael, shaking in anger as he shouted, "I stay home and fix whatever I have to prepare for the mission and what are you doing? Huh?"

Donny started to break them apart,

"You go out on your own. Patrol on your own. As if you don't have a team back here!"

Raphael glared at his brother but didn't say a word.

Donny pushed Leonardo away. Fortunately, Leo turned around and tried to calm himself down. He turned and looked at Raph, "Who knows, you might be going back to that girl--"

Raphael immediately ran to Leo, "You don't know shit, Leo. You better back off."

Leonardo grabbed Raph, and before they could throw their fists at each other, Master Splinter arrived and exclaimed at them. They both fell silent. He began lecturing them at controlling their temper. He scolded them and finally, he had calmed himself down but continued lecturing at his sons.

"Raphael. Your brother only wants to remember your position and to cooperate."

"Yes, father." Raphael muttered.

"And Leonardo. You have to understand your brother's concern for this city."

"Yes, father." Leo said sternly. 

Upon hearing his father's remarks, Raphael could not help but feel slightly guilty. He knew that he was mostly hanging around the rooftop than patrolling, yet he was being scolded for the thought that he was indeed looking out for the city. Raphael looked away and tried to stay calm, but his eyes were at the clock. It was almost ten o'clock. He could not stop thinking about Alice.

He should be there by now, yet he was stuck here.

Finally, Master Splinter finished speaking. Raphael exhaled, then glared at Leo before leaving the sewers.

---

When Raphael arrived at the rooftop, he noticed it was empty. The seat was still messy, but there was no one there. An hour had passed and when he realized he had been waiting in the shadows for too long, he thought he was late and blamed himself. Raphael was tempted to peek through the windows just to know if she was home at least, but he stopped himself. He didn't want her to accidentally see him.

But he did not give up. He waited for two more hours. Instead of patrolling, he sat at the seat and watched the nightsky change colors because of the stoplight that reflected on it. When time passed, he knew it was time to leave. So, he left home, feeling empty.

---

The next evening, Raphael visited a little earlier. But he waited in the shadows so as not to show himself and make her think that he was obviously eager to see her again. Expecting her return, Raphael practiced his lines. He rehearsed in his head the first thing he would say; he would apologize, he thought. An hour passed and it was nine o'clock. When he noticed Alice was still not there, he rehearsed his lines aloud.

"Sorry I didn't make it yesterday. Something came up." He said aloud and then shook his head. He rehearsed other lines.

Then, it was eleven o'clock and Alice was still nowhere to be found. That's when he felt that something was not right. He thought that maybe something must have happened to her. Then, he was tempted to peek through her window.

Just one peek, he told himself. I just need to know if she's alright. Just one, he told himself again. But he thought that it would not be a good idea. So, he sat on the edge and waited. But his mind would not stop. Finally, Raphael stood up, "Fuck it." He jumped over the edge and headed to her window.