Chapter 21

Isaac rushed to get to his Intro to Academic Writing class after sleeping through his alarm by accident. Yet he somehow managed to get to class with about ten minutes to spare. He noticed that his regular spot was still empty, so he took the seat without hesitation. He got his laptop up and running while he watched the professor get herself organized. He looked over to finally greet Lexi, but she wasn't sitting beside him.

Did she skip class? 'Cause that isn't like her, he thought.

It took a moment of scanning the remainder of the classroom for him to find that Lexi was sitting far away from their original spots, her eyes focused only on the front of the class. She also had her lips pursed and arms crossed in front of her on the table. Isaac decided to walk over to find out why she'd chosen to not sit beside him.

"Lexi?"

She didn't respond at first. She merely gave him a death stare, prompting him to frown.

"What's wrong?"

"Are you seriously asking me that?"

"Uh...yeah."

Lexi scoffed. "Did you already forget about what happened at The Bean's Knees the other day?"

"No," Isaac said. He then realized what was going on. "You're upset about Cassie freaking out on you?"

"Of course I am. But I'm also upset that you think I overreacted. You never got on Cassie for being a bully. That's what she was doing, and you fucking know it. That's why I'm angry as hell."

Isaac bit his lip and sighed heavily. "I'm sorry."

"No, you're not," Lexi argued.

Tired of dealing with the senseless arguing, Isaac shook his head before returning to his seat. But he quickly knew that wasn't going to be easy to stay focused on the lecture. The professor was going on and on about important concepts about the class, but it was impossible for Isaac to pay attention. He found himself just staring at the projector screen to look as though he cared about what was being taught. In reality, his head was in a far different place. The events of the previous day played in his mind to remind him yet again of what had occurred.

Sure, Cassie shouldn't have been rude, Isaac thought, but Lexi didn't need to be lash out like she did.

For him, the incident was a nothing issue that shouldn't have become such a big deal. He forced himself to not roll his eyes during the lecture, more because he didn't want the professor to think that he was bored of the class. He was just upset with Lexi over how she was dealing with yesterday's events.

The almost three-hour lecture felt like it went twice as long, much to Isaac's dismay. But he was relieved when class was finally dismissed. He looked across the room and spotted Lexi hustling to put her things away in her large purse. She had to walk past him to exit the classroom, allowing him to catch up to her almost immediately.

"Leave me alone," she sneered.

"Look, I really don't want to fight. I'm sorry, okay? I really am," Isaac insisted.

"Okay, so maybe you're sorry. I'll give you that. But that still doesn't excuse what Cassie said or did. You fucking know that!"

"I'll deal with Cassie later. What goes on between you and I doesn't have to do with whatever's going on between you two."

As the pair left the building, Lexi stopped just to the side of a large walkway. Isaac stopped in front of her to keep her from heading back to her dorm.