Chapter 27

While Isaac was celebrating his birthday with friends, Cassie was holed up in her dorm with Mariana. Her and Isaac's fight was still fresh in her mind, causing her poor best friend to have to listen to her constant bitching with little of her own opinion coming to light. It was exhausting for both women, though their reasons differed quite a bit. Several minutes into this, Mariana had finally had enough.

"It's all Isaac's fault!"

"Or maybe it's not," Mariana countered just as her best friend tried to catch her breath.

Cassie seemed confused. For the first time since she'd begun her long-winded whining, she was rendered mute. Mariana used this as a chance to say her piece.

"I'm not sure it's all Isaac's fault. I kinda have a feeling that Lexi has some responsibility with your and Isaac's fight."

"But Isaac hasn't talked to her in months," Cassie pointed out, "and she also hasn't bugged me in a long time. As much as I hate her, I can't say that this is her fault."

"Sure, but think about this: when did you and Isaac have your first fight?"

"Not long after the school year started."

"Okay, and what exactly was it about?"

The realization hit Cassie like a bolt of lightning. "It had to do with Lexi! Now I see what you're thinking!"

Mariana nodded with a smirk. "There you go."

"Lexi's been the source of our problems since college started! I can't believe I didn't connect the dots sooner. I mean, I knewshe was a problem, but it's clearly worse than I thought."

"You were just more focused on whatever fight was going on at the time, not the bigger picture."

"I think I need to have another chat with Lexi," Cassie declared with a large scowl.

Mariana "Good idea! And then I think you and Isaac need to talk."

Cassie didn't respond; she just got up and left her dorm for Lexi's. Despite not having visited since their second confrontation, she still found the dorm with ease. She knocked on the door loudly, not caring if she drew the attention of other students for being loud as evening turned into night.

Lexi answered with an unclear expression. Her arms remained at her sides, and she didn't look angry or scared. This just pissed Cassie off even more.

"Can I help you?" Lexi asked in an innocent voice.

"Don't act so sweet, bitch! You're the reason why everything's all fucked with Isaac and I!!!"

"I haven't talked to him in months."

"You know what? I actually believe you about that," Cassie spat in a sarcastic manner.

"You do? Well, that's a nice change."

"Shut up! I'm pissed off because ever since you came into my life, Isaac and I have had plenty of fights that have YOU at the center of it! It's YOUR fault that we're fighting, and you fucking know it!!!"

Lexi's eyebrows knitted in confusion. She opened her mouth and then paused, as if reconsidering her words. She shook her head with disbelief before finally responding.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do any of that."

"Well, you did, bitch! Congrats, you homewrecking slut— you've ruined my relationship! I hope you're fucking happy!"

Cassie slammed the door in Lexi's face and stomped off. The entire encounter had been less intense than she's expected, mainly because her sworn enemy hadn't really reacted to the accusations and screaming. It looked like she was bored by the harsh words thrown her way.