Chapter Seventeen: Parting Ways

Mulai dari awal

"Stay here."

"Why?"

"Because she doesn't need to be bothered with....everything that happened."

"Fine. Whatever you say."

There's a nasty tone under his last sentence, but I chose to ignore it anyway. We've wasted enough time already. Ed and I climb the stairs up to Lan Fan's room and enter. She's awake, wearing purple pajamas and sitting up.

"Hey." I say.

"Leah? Where did you go?" She asks.

"Sorry. It's a long story. But there's someone who wants to see you."

Ed comes out from behind me. Her face looks glad, but her eyes reveal her true feelings; she disappointed that Ed isn't Ling. How am I going to explain that to her?

"Edward?" she asks sleepily.

"Hey." Ed answers "How're you holding up?" He asks.

"I am ok. But I am in need of a replacement arm." She says.

"That's partly why we came. I'm going to call Winry, she'll get you one in no time."

"Thank you." She says.

"Sorry I left you so suddenly. I got caught up in a lot of stuff." I explain.

"I understand. But I have a single question," she says, "Where is the young lord?"

I swallow. I knew she would ask this, and I knew I'd have to explain it to her. There's no point in lying to her. I respect her too much to do that, plus she's way too smart to believe any lie I can conjure. There's no point in hiding it.

"Well-I...you see..." I stutter.

How can I tell her. She'll take it the worst. I remember how bad Ling felt when she was injured. No doubt she'll feel the same way. Or how distressed she was when she had to lie in this bed for days, helpless and unable to protect him.

"He's right here." Greed/Ling says.

He's standing in the doorway and leaning on the frame. Lan Fan sees him, and the fires of rage flare in her eyes.

"You! How dare you imitate the young prince!" She says.

"Sorry, but I'm no fake. I am the prince now." Greed answers.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, the little brat gave his body up without a fight. It was a little too easy. Sorry sweetie, but your prince is gone. There's only me now."

"You! I told you to stay downstairs!" I yell at him.

"And I told you I'm not big on rules." he says arrogantly.

"I do not believe you! The prince would never do such a thing!" Lan Fan is enraged.

"He would if it meant getting his hands on a philosopher's stone. Come to think of it, he did mention a servant of his losing an arm, so I'm guessing you'd be the one. I'll never get over how foolish humans can be."

"The prince is not foolish! You are lying!"

Greed sighs, "A rule if mine is not to lie. It's true, ask your friends."

Lan Fan looks at Ed and I.
"Is it true?"

"Yes." I say, not being able to bear looking at her.

She tries to jump out of bed and attack Greed. But her legs are still weak and she falls to her knees.

"Sorry to break it to ya'." Greed says "I'll see you around". With that he leaves the room.

Lan Fan puts her head to her hand and sobs. Ed and I lift her back into her bed. Her tears are plenty and fast. She's hardly ever cried, even for herself. These tears are for Ling. It's palpable she cares deeply for him.