Chapter 6: Nightmare(Rewritten)

Now here we are at the nightmare chapter! However, I got a few changes in mind when it comes to this chapter, so I suggest keeping reading to find out. The warning here is gonna be the same as it was in the old one, this chapter does delve into dark themes such as violence, PTSD, loss, self-hatred, brief mention of self-harm, attempted suicide etc. I suggest reading with caution if the drawing and the mature tab on this story are anything to go by. Now on with the chapter!

Corbin smiles lovingly at the woman with red hair and dressed in red in her arms as they sway on the deck, surrounded by candles. It's the same woman from her drawing, the one who the inhuman woman has committed to memory to the smallest detail in an effort to keep her memory alive. Although at first, it's not obvious that the woman is in fact a woman; she wore clothing tailored to men, making them baggy enough to cover her feminine curves as part of the bulging fabric; the woman has long coppery hair, but that could've been easily written off as many men of her occupation shared the same style; it also helps that she never wore makeup, deceiving those who look for jewelry, dresses, powder and paint to define a woman. This woman's name? Jacquotte Delahaye, otherwise known as "Back from the Dead Red". In contrast to Jacquotte, Corbin wore a traditional blue off shoulders dress. The blue being the same shade as a calm sky in contrast to the marauder's deep burgundy pallet. 

The inhuman woman had no need for her usual human guise, never really requiring it in the presence of her accepting lover. For a while, they spoke no words, instead, opting to listen to the flicking of the candles; the other's heartbeat; along with the sound of the waves as for their music. She doesn't really know why they're dancing or the form of their dance, but the dark creature could care less in the arms of Jacquotte. 

"I've long missed your warmth, Jacqui."

Corbin whispers to the pirate as she runs her fingers through her thick curly tresses. In return, Jacquotte looks up at the taller female to caress her unnatural face with both hands like it were the most natural action to do.

"I as well, my angel of the night."

The taller woman doesn't argue as she usually would with Jacquotte about the pet name, instead, basking in her the warmth of her adoration and compassion. Corbin recalls that before her first love, which she has long accepted, centuries ago, she will never find someone who would take her as their wife. While her older sister, Lavinia, had insisted that she finds a husband if only to be truly accepted into their tribe; although, the younger inhuman sister suspects that she only wanted that if so they didn't live so closely together by marrying another band of romas. Nonetheless, Lavinia was determined to set her sister up with any man she found suitable for the younger sister. Unfortunately for the foster sister, the men of their tribe were either too intimidated by Corbin or turned down by her, not wanting to trap anyone into a marriage with a hellspawn such as her nor to be subservient to anyone. The young creature then didn't really mind or care at the time, happy to continue providing for her tribe anyway she can, and is mostly content with it. At least, until Vadoma-

"Corbin, you seem distant. Ye have that look in your eyes again."

The pirate's voice holds concern in her tone, well-versed in how her lover's mind can wander sometimes. Corbin closes her eyes as she leans into Jacquotte's calloused hands, finding them to be a needed comfort from her troubled memories. 

"Put your mind at ease, my love. I am fine."

The same couldn't be said for Jacquotte when the taller woman then opens her eyes. She feels dread anchor itself in her stomach as she falls to the sandy beach on her knees, holding her former love's rapidly cooling body in her arms. At the center of her chest, a bloody wound blooms under her tunic, staining the material into a scarlet color, almost black, despite the blazing sun. Corbin's screams are muted as the fire from the candles grows into an inescapable inferno from all sides. The inhuman woman attempts to fly her and Jacquotte's bloody corpse but finds herself unable to.