"Hagrid," she mumbled, "you have to take me to Dumbledore, fast," her voice came out in strained wheezes that were alarmingly painful. She was smart enough to know that one of her lungs was punctured, and by the looks of it Hagrid knew as well, because the half-giant did not waste a single second and immediately followed her command.

It was 3 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon and students and staff alike were enjoying their meal in the Great Hall, chatting vividly and enjoying their last few days in the castle when the doors opened abruptly and the Keeper of Keys walked in with a semi-conscious girl in his arms. A deafening silence completely overtook the room as they all watched with horror and concern. Ivy's friends were already on their feet, so was Dumbledore, who immediately rushed to the injured student's side. He called for Madam Pomfrey's instant aid but Ivy was adamant on standing and speaking, even if she had to give her last breath in doing so.

"They're coming, Sir. Pettigrew is helping the Death Eaters get inside the castle. Voldemort is coming." Her warning was cut short by the blood that began pouring from her mouth, giving Pomfrey no choice but to use her wand and begin to work on the girl, instructing Hagrid to rush her to the Hospital Wing.

All eyes shifted towards the Marauders where, sure enough, there was an empty space in the table. An empty space that felt vast and dismal. There was panic and fear in everyone's face, even the Professors had fallen victim to their dismay, everyone but Dumbledore. "Minerva," the Headmaster instructed with that authoritative yet soothing voice that characterised him, "get the students to a safe place. Find them shelter. Everyone," he addressed the students, "immediately follow the instructions given."

Almost every student from first to fourth year ran out the door, following the Heads of Houses clear instructions. Many fifth to seventh years also fled but a vast amount of them remained seated, wordlessly reaching an agreement with one another. It was James who had the courage to stand up and speak on their behalf. "Forgive me, Sir, but that's an order I can notfollow." He swallowed hard, clearly trying to fight off the fear and anxiety that was creeping up his spine. "I'm staying here and I'm fighting." Remus and Sirius immediately stood by their friend's side, followed by a chorus of "me too" from a great majority of Gryffindors and several students from Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw as well, a group in which Catherine stood tall.

Alexis' world was steadily collapsing in a matter of minutes. Not only was seeing her friend's condition unnerving enough as it is, but the puzzle was beginning to come together and the riddle was about to solve itself, and she was afraid the result was one she feared. She did not know the motives for the sudden attack, but she knew it was grave enough it managed to put a strain on Tom's relationship with her. It was exasperating to have a better view of the smaller pictures, such as understanding the purpose of his previous visit and the reason behind his odd behaviour. Yet she knew nothing about the bigger picture. She didn't know what his plans were or the motives behind them. She didn't know why Peter had gotten involved, why all the Death Eaters were coming, and why Tom had been purposely messing with her head. Because it was clearly him, it had to be him. She didn't understand why or how, but she knew he wasn't worthy of the benefit of the doubt anymore.

James could see the despair and the fear on his loved one's face and it absolutely broke his heart. "You don't have to fight, baby," he kissed the hand that now held the ring she had been given the night prior. "No one expects you to. We know that'd be asking too much from you."

"But I don't want you to fight either," she chocked with the panic that was spreading through her body, speedily driving her to a point near a panic attack, "it's too dangerous."

People were rushing past them now, running in and out of the Great Hall as they followed commands. James took a deep breath and placed his hands on her neck, gently pulling her forward so their foreheads were touching. "I love you, you know I do," he muttered softly, "but I'm tired of living like this, Alexis. I'm tired of having no peace, no stability. Just yesterday we were all having the time of our lives, and now look!" he motioned at the mayhem surrounding them. "We don't even know why he's coming! Maybe he just feels like going for a little killing spree, for all we know!" He had gotten visibly riled up which he immediately regretted, understanding that those weren't the words that Alexis needed to hear. "I love you," he whispered again, his voice drastically changing to a softer one, "but I know you understand that I have other purposes in life, just like you do. So regardless of what happens tonight, I have to fight for what I believe in."