• thirty seven

she wasn't scared to walk away
she was scared he wouldn't follow

Sirius cleared his throat in an attempt to ease the palpitating tension that engulfed them after James had taken it upon himself to give the new girl an exceptionally warm welcome

Sirius cleared his throat in an attempt to ease the palpitating tension that engulfed them after James had taken it upon himself to give the new girl an exceptionally warm welcome. Uncomfortable glances were exchanged between everyone but James and Marion, who continued looking at each other somewhat awestruck.

"See you around?" Marion batted her eyelashes and gave James her most alluring smile before walking away with two very uncomfortable girls following behind.

"Count on that." James flashed her his infamous coy smirk as his gaze followed her all the way until she was eventually out of view. "So," he clapped his hands and for once acknowledged their presence, "should we get going?" He pointed in the direction the girls had headed to with his thumb, long forgotten were their plans to have dinner in the common room. "Their sorting is going to begin soon."

Alexis could feel Sirius' and Peter's concerned eyes on her, and with good reason considering she could feel her chest tighten at the sight of a completely unbothered James. More than unbothered, James looked genuinely delighted, emitting a childish glow that sparkled with his new excitement. And more than simply outraged, Alexis was seething, her hand tingling with a sudden desire to smack the grin from his face. She stuck her nose up in the air and turned on her heels before stomping her way to the Great Hall. Peter and Sirius gave each other one last worried look before going after her, followed by a dazed James who was biting his lip with a stunned expression.

Ivy could tell Remus wasn't in the highest of spirits and mentally cursed the rest of their friends for being absent when they both needed them the most. After all, anyone could tell you that Ivy Edwards was the least competent person when it came to comforting people. So when an enraged Alexis plopped down next to Remus in what appeared to be the foulest of moods it went without saying that they were certainly taken aback. Sirius and Peter followed soon after with apprehensive and anxious expressions that did little comforting. Ivy's and Remus' confusion reached its peak when James joined them a minute later with the most dumbstruck expression as he eagerly looked around.

A content smile appeared on James' lips when he located the news girls receiving instructions from McGonagall. The rest of them gave each other disbelieving and disturbed glances as they communicated wordlessly. Both Remus and Ivy were smart and competent enough to understand what was happening. James' dazed expression and the girl's veela-like complexion did all the explaining.

"Earth to unbearable twat!" Alexis shoved James to break his trance and wasn't the least bit displeased about the extra force she used.

The same unbothered expression reappeared on James' face when he turned his attention back to his girlfriend. "What is it, love?" He asked unfazed, taking the opportunity to give Remus a nod of his head as a greeting.

"I would appreciate it if my boyfriend stopped undressing other girls with his eyes," she whispered harshly, trying with all of her might to stop herself from making a scene. Their friends shifted uncomfortably but knew better than to intervene.