Hunger

"Phineas! Get back here now!" Philo Barnum screamed.

      "Coming father." Phineas replied in defeat . He had been staring longingly through the glass at a fine linen suit and top hat.

       "We don't stare Phineas Barnum. It's rude to covet ones necessities."

      "But father....."

   "I said no buts get a move on if we're ever gonna make it to Charity's. You can't keep the young lady waiting you know, and I'm going on an outing to the market with her father." Philo replied wiping the dust off Phineas shoulder. "We must get you a suit."

   Phineas smiled. "Really! Do you mean it a real suit. I was looking at a rather nice one in the shop back there. It had velvet lining, linen stitching, and I'm pretty sure it was a scarlet or a plum colored. I couldn't tell the difference. Oh and the top hat looked a night big for my size but I could grow into it I promise I could. Also......." On and on babbled Phineas.

     "My son, do you know how much that cost. Just wipe the stains off your vest and we will make do with what we have. Be on your absolute best behavior. No funny business!"

    "I promise father." Phineas tragically replied having his hopes and dreams crushed. His eyes lit up when he saw Charity staring through the upstairs window down at them approaching the porch. Phineas frantically smoothed down his untidy locks, and straightened his worn out vest.

    "You've got something on your nose Phineas please remove it."

     Phineas licked his callused finger and rubbed it up and down along the brim of his nose swiftly.

   "Oh for Pete's sake you have a hanky." Philo said rather put out.

     A tall old man opened the massive marbled door and scowled down at poor Phineas.

     "I see you brought the boy. Charity will be delighted." The man scoffed sarcastically.

     Phineas shrugged and darted under the mans arms and into the huge mansion. Soon giggles and children's voices could be heard upstairs.

     "Well, is never." The man stated dusting off his overcoat like he had gotten the plague.

     "Sir are you ready for our outing I hope you brought your boots cause your about to be blown away." Enthusiastically replied Philo.

   " Of what Philo your empty pockets." The man walked twords the carriage chuckling rather often. Philo turned shutting the door in astonishment t and joined the man in the polished black carriage.

   Meanwhile Upstairs:

      Charity ducked as a pillow went whirling through the air and smacked the wall swiftly falling to the ground. She came up beaming and chucked it back at Phineas. He dodged it rather ungracefully. They both fell down belly laughing.

     "Phineas!" Charity giggled as he made a rather funny face and then shook his head around frantically.

    "What you need a little fun sometimes don't you. He extended his hand out to try and help her up. Instead there was a loud rip. Charity had stepped on the back of her dress and ripped it up the side.

     " Phineas!" She screamed this time not joking around. Father will kill me this was my party dress she stated in utter terror.

      "Hey, we can fix it. I'm sure we can. Now where is the sowing room again. Phineas replied rather amused.

     Charity sat there glaring at him with complete rage." You don't even know how to sow do you?" She asked sassily.

   "Maybe, maybe not. You'll have to wait and and see." Joked Phineas sarcastically.

     Moments later Rachel (I don't really know if that's her name) Charity's mother strutted up the many flights of stairs and stopped in her tracks when she saw what had happened.

      "Phineas Taylor Barnum! Out of this house at once!" Streaked Charity's furious mother.

     Charity frowned sadly waving a slow goodbye to Phineas. He waved back and ran down the long flights of stairs and out the large door. It was sunset. His father wasn't back yet. Phineas stomach growled a long slow growl and he realized he hadn't eaten all day. He sat on the porch and stared at the pale pink and orange sky slowly fading into a twilight purple. He sighs sand trudged along the long winding path that led through the countryside and back to the city.

       When he had arrived at the merriest town he was in agony over the horrifying growls and lingering pain of emptiness in his stomach. His hunger  lingered in his stoumach as he smelled  the fragrant scents of baked goods and fresh meats. As he passed a small cart of bread loads and braided doughs he felt the sudden urge to take. He thought for a while but his hunger was just to unbearable. He couldnt wait any longer Phineas grabbed a small log of bread and bolted behind the building and through an alleyway leading back to the country.

     "SHOPLIFTER! SHOPLIFTER! STOP HIM!" Yelled voices behind him. He just kept running and running until he had arrived back at his old torn up shack.

  He walked inside regretting ever going to the city and slammed the bread down on the table. It broke into many little pieces and crumbled onto the ground. It was the first time he had ever stolen. All because of his foolish desire to eat and fill his starving stomach. He sat there and covered his face on the brink of tears. Then the door opened.